Hunting food plots?

Discussion in 'Bow Hunting Forum' started by LittandJake, Apr 23, 2004.

1. LittandJake

LittandJake Elite Refuge Member

I was curious how many of you hunt food plots? If so, what kind? I plant a little BioLogic but for the most part I hunt agriculture fields. Lots of corn and soybeans. I haven't got real serious with my food plotting either. I dont spray or fertilize that much.

2. liquid Force

liquid Force Senior Refuge Member

I like to hunt over corn, but this year we are going to try something else.

3. goose hunters

goose hunters Elite Refuge Member

Being a farmer I hunt over 120 acre food plots.;)

Most of the time I run 20 stands or so. Many of them we bait with apples first then corn. The best buck hunting is the never baitted sites. And if a hunter smokes once in my seats I never get a big buck. It seems to alert them to our presense in that tree stand. Seems like it never fails. Smoke and dont get the big boys.

The biggest mistake we make putting in food plots is not to have a soil test and not using fertilizers. This hurts your effort big time. Use fall foods to hunt over and mixed to keep the deer in your hunting area for the season.

I'm going to go to our deer camp next month and put in four new food plots right in the woods. I want to see if it helps in the north woods.

4. Batman74

Batman74 Moderator Moderator

I usually hunt between food areas and the bedding areas. We have been thinking of planting food plots this year.

5. goose hunters

goose hunters Elite Refuge Member

We hunt in club land. All private hunting clubs around us. We sit on trails that have been there forever. escape routes are the ones I hunt. The others come in to there sheds and the deer flee right past me. Kind of a no brainer. The food plots help during bow hunts. Rifle season is much too easy. Just have a seat and wait for the bucks. I am thinking of running a bow hunters camp for a 3 or 4 day hunt. Late in October or first weeks of November. Right before the rifle season is out though. They dont like us to pressure the deer right before the guns come out.