Hunting Geese That Aren't Using a Field

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Greenhead14, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Greenhead14

Greenhead14 New Member

It seems like every corn field in the area I hunt is holding some geese, except mine. Most of the land is owned by one farmer whose employee is the only who can hunt it and I can't get permission on any of the other fields. Our field backs on to the lake the geese roost on, but they prefer to fly over it to other fields. I've tried hunting there 3 times but the geese and ducks always fly over and in good numbers, at least 20 flocks totalling 1000 probably passed over and about an equal number of ducks. What would you guys do in this situation?

2. Action

Action Elite Refuge Member

Good news is you are in the traffic area. Usually you should be able to get groups coming back to the roost to drop in if your spread and hide are good. Also you did not mention how many decoys you are using. In traffic situations I would recommend no less than 10 dozen and more would be better. Also if you are not already doing so set tollers out and see if you can "build up" the field. One last note is to make sure you are not hunting to close to the roost.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  3. Greenhead14

Greenhead14 New Member

I have been using about 5 dozen full body's (mix of avian-X and bigfoots) and about 2 dozen full body mallards. Also I haven't been flagging, maybe that would help? And what are tollers?

4. Action

Tollers are decoys you put in the field when you are not using it. I would ditch the duck decoys since ducks will decoy into goose spreads anyway. If you can bump up your decoy numbers that might help some. Flagging will help at a distance but be sure not to give up your position. Also are you hunting the middle , edge or center pivot?

5. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

If nobody hunts the other fields ,try putting a couple coyote decoys in vv them to keep the geese out.Cardboard cutouts can work also but are harder to obtain.

6. Action

Also what king of field are the birds using and what is in yours? If mild weather they may be in grain if cold temps below freezing they should be in grass/ green wheat.

7. heveshot

heveshot New Member

Not sure if that rule applies in all parts, hunter in MD years ago, bird used the wheat than a cold front came thru and they switched to corn. In Ohio you never know, had them hit the corn hard during cold , than want to loaf in wheat later. Sometimes downsizing spread helps to, taken plenty with 5 or so full bodies in a field. Just try and mix it up, just when you think you got them figured out , they'll change, that what keeps me coming back.

8. Greenhead14

Greenhead14 New Member

I have been hunting in a cut corn field and the geese that I have seen have all been in cut corn fields. I have been hunting on top of a hill, in their flight path to hopefully get a pass shot. I'm in Ontario so the weather has been fairly cold lately (the lakes almost completely frozen), but it's supposed to stay above freezing this week with a high tomorrow of 54 so maybe this thaw will change thier feeding patterns? And all the fields they are using are private property so putting out a coyote decoy isn't an option.

9. Action

When there is a hard freeze the geese have to switch to what is available and grass/wheat is easy. The corn gets frozen in the ground so they can not get to it. UNLESS it is field corn (for cattle feed) so there is a lot of trash left on top.

10. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Ive hunted lots of traffic over the past 15 years
    Dont expect geese to decoy until after they feed the first time .
    The birds to work are the birds that are done feeding, about 1 1/2 hours after they started feeding.