Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Hunting License Fee Proposal

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by sapidusandsuds, Feb 23, 2012.

1. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Mr. Peditto,

I saw your salary, its there for anyone that wants to look for it. I'd respectfully suggest that a commuter vehicle, with free fuel, probably bumps your effective salary over the $100K mark. I don't know if the anecdotes you relate about your on-call status are the sum total of one month or 10 years, but I suspect that you could do what I do when I get called out from time to time to a vehicular manslaughter, murder scene, armed robbery, etc.- drive yourself, put down your mileage for reimbursement (when I remember), and then still pay for your own commute to work.

But I don't know, maybe you get called out 5 times a week and its cheaper for you to get a take home vehicle. But the fact is, justified or not, you are immune from fuel expense for employment purposes. For some of the hunters that you want to chip in "an extra tank of gas", a tank of gas is the difference between them getting to work this week, or turning down a job because they can't afford to drive to it.

I am sorry, but between the increased boat registration, asking to add 6% sales tax on top of the flat tax on gasoline, toll hikes, etc. etc. I just doesn't seem like anyone working in Annapolis gets it.

And I guarantee giving a take home vehicle to the guy with the 180 mile roundtrip everyday is not saving us tax payers any money.

Don't get me wrong, I make a decent living but I'd love a take home car and I only have a 26 mile roundtrip commute. My counterpart in Queen Anne's County has fewer cases, more assistants, makes $20K more than me, and has a county car. A car is a reasonable request, its just not reasonable for me to ask for one at this time, when so many others are going without.

If there are documents online that detail WHS's current budget by line item, the proposed budget, at least in the format that was sent to the legislative drafting table, the specific areas where the $3 million (+/-) is slated to go if the proposal passes, and the memos that detail your agency's evalution of what affect these hikes will have on hunter retention and recruitment, then I would certainly appreciate a link to those.

2. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

I dont have a problem with the Director of Wildlife and Heritage having a take home vehicle, but that is my opinion and I respect yours Chop.

I wouldnt have a problem with the Sates' Attorney having one either, both prestigeous positions that come with perks....it is what it is and You've earned them!

I think this particular subject is getting a bit personal and for two professionals such as yourselves, would be much wiser to address off the public forum....but again, just my opinion.

3. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

Chris, I respectfully disagree: the whole problem with this situation is that it was all done behind closed doors- it appears that the people (WAC and stakeholders) that were in the ideal position to provide timely feedback and advice were not given the entire story, and still have not been given the entire story.

The director is following orders. I get it. I wouldn't be surprised to learn that he was personally opposed to this. But he is doing his job as assigned.

My job is to find out the truth about things. Sometimes it requires me to ask victims of terrible crimes, even children, to relive the most horrible moments of their lives on a witness stand in front of a jury of total strangers and the person accused of committing the crime. Sometimes its so bad I wish I could get up, walk out of the courtroom and throw up. So, you'll forgive me if I don't get squeamish asking a public employee about his mileage expenses.

4. RUSSELL HALLOCK

RUSSELL HALLOCK Elite Refuge Member

In my opinion, Paul does not get paid enough for everything he has to put up with from everyone from the little old lady who's flowers were eaten by the deer to balancing a budget while walking the political highwire. Actually, if he breaks down his salary by an hourly wage, it looks a lot less impressive. This has gotten down to a point where guys are turning on each other instead focusing on the real problems at hand with our state.

I am willing to pay the extra $40.00 to maintain what we have in this state.

5. BadBean

BadBean Elite Refuge Member

You see Chris the real problem is if we put Paul on the stand we would find out his Maryland State take home vehicle is a brand new fully loaded 2013 Shelby Mustang "Super Snake" GT 500 rag top with vanity plates that read "Hoky Guy"!! When he gets one of those emergency calls for a renegade racoon in someone's shed he rolls over the hood and jumps into the car without opening a door like one of the Dukes of Hazard out to foil Boss Hog! He has endearingly named the car "General O'Malley" :nutz

Sorry Paul I couldn't resist and we need to throw a little water on the fire.

[​IMG]

6. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

I agree with this 100%. If you compare DNR to a private company and look at what someone in Paul's position would be making in the private sector, he's way underpaid. It appears he's caught in the middle and always taking s**** from both directions.

7. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

I agree and I am actually astonished by some of the things that I am reading on here.

8. RUSSELL HALLOCK

RUSSELL HALLOCK Elite Refuge Member

I agree guys.

9. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

Paul, you are a busy man and I respect that. I certainly would not want you spending time to dig up something that we can easily find online.

However, I have searched for the information requested and am not able to find it. Choptank's questions about actual costs, shortfalls, projections on hunter attrition and specific dollars earmarked for new funding raised by higher license fees would be a good starting point for disseminating information.

10. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

While I agree that our W&H director is underpaid, Chop is perfectly in line with his questioning. He's like our one man watchdog group wanting to make sure a gov't agency spends the money (given by us) wisely. It would be a real shame to see even 1 father get priced out of this game and not be able to pass along a family past time because of the increases.