Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Hunting License Fee Proposal

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by sapidusandsuds, Feb 23, 2012.

1. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

That reads like the programing manual for my "p26" police scanner.:z

2. muskrat25

muskrat25 Elite Refuge Member

If you open that link and go to the Natural Resources link there, then scroll down to pages 25 through 28, you see the presentation of the Wildlife and Heritage Service.

I will note that the rest of it makes for interesting reading, to the extent its intelligible. For example, DNR has 35 people working in IT at a salary cost of $3,000,000 and then spend another $700,000 on contractual IT services, then another $1.5 million contractual on IT project development. $500K of those figures is paid for out of the Wildlife Management and Protection Fund which is our hunting license dollars- do you think that ought to buy "hunting" a direct link on the website?????

It has the budgets broken down into categories, not a lot of detail. Its also unclear what they mean by 2011 "appropriation" vs. 2012 "allowance"- I was hoping to see the proposed budget for FY2013, since that's when these changes would go into effect.

Wildlife and Heritage has 90 full time employees, 18 contractual employees: salaries and benefits at a cost of $7 million. On top of that there is another $800K in "contractual" expenses which is listed under operating expenses. Operating expense also includes $350K for vehicles, both takehome and official use, maybe AV fuel for Yellowdog's plane? $150K for "communications" which I guess is radios and cellphones, $500K in grants and subsidies (money F&W gives to other entities: cost share for phrag control on private land fit in here?). Anyway, averfage of $3 million in operating costs. Total average budget of $10 million a year for the last couple years. General Fund contributions are down to $140K, so on average for the last couple years $4 million of it comes from the Feds including PR funds, $5 million comes from MWPT funds (hunting license fees) $400K comes from Maryland Bird Stamp funds, $400K comes from Chesapeake Bay Endangered Species Fund (voluntary tax deductible check off on your state income tax, apparently), etc.

Meanwhile, the Office of the Secretary takes $120K in MWPT funds. The Attorney General assigned to the Secretary gets another $70K in MWPT funds. The DNR finance office gets $240K in MWPT funds. Licensing gets $240K in MWPTfunds. Human Resources gets $36K of MWPT funds. As mentioned above, IT gets $500K in MWPT funds. Communications and Marketing gets $42K in MWPT funds.

As noted above, W&H does get $5 million, and NRP gets about $1 million in MWPT funds. Looks to me like another $1.25 million in MWPT funds are not being used for the purposes they were intended for. I say give that back to W&H, I'm sure Paul can write his own press releases, and some recent college grad could probably handle 99% of your IT needs from his smartphone during his lunch hour.

But anyway, fascinating as these numbers are, it raises the question: what assurance do we have that the money from an increase is going to stay in either W&H or NRP when 15% of it now appears to be used for something else?

And even if we keep everything staffed at current rates, and everyone keeps their cellphones and cars, and private landowners still get phrag subsidies, and all the bear poop gets inspected regularly, that seems like an argument for the status quo, $10 million a year. What am I missing? Sure, there's a chance that people will slow their gun purchases if a Republican is elected in November and PR money may shrink.

DNR is spending $3.5 million dollars a year just in the licensing department, to issue fishing licenses, hunting licenses, and boat registrations! That means the first 100,000 or so people buying fishing and hunting licenses are just paying for the people that hand them the license! (And I'm not talking about the clerks at the sporting goods stores, either.) THAT'S INSANE! The money gets shifted around form place to place so that nobody really knows where it came from and where it went. Its not a one man shell game, its a hundred bureaucrats each standing around with their own set of shells, then multiply that by another 100 State agencies. I do not want to suggest that this shell game is a conscious sham by DNR, but it has become institutionalized in the way State government is run. You need an accountant, a lawyer and a blood pressure doctor just to wade through the first couple pages.

Well, anyway, having reviewed the general numbers, it appears that W&H is pretty stable, at least for the time being. The general fund can't be cut much more, and I guess its up to the Secretary to decide if MWPT funds are needed to remodel his offices instead of buying AV fuel for Yellowdog.

So........ why do you need another $3 million from us, and what do you expect it to do to hunter retention and recruitment?

3. carolina girl

Hutty?

4. MNapier

MNapier Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, not sure what county or counties you are trying to listen to but good luck with that. It should be P25, I have never heard of P26. Maybe it was a typo, I don't know.

5. carolina girl

Dundalk uses p26, its a generic version, available at Ollies.

6. MNapier

I know that the Baltimore area is heavy in digital communications. Does Dundalk share in that system or are they totally seperate?

7. carolina girl

Totally seperate system.

[​IMG]

8. MNapier

:l:l:l