Hunting Locations

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by goosekilla, May 4, 2001.

1. goosekilla

goosekilla Guest

Hey guys just wondering where most of you like to do your hunting. I live in Greeley so I do my hunting in the Greely, Loveland, Winsor and east of Kersey. Where are the hot spots that you all know of in the area for ducks and geese. We have done pretty well in this area ,but we just bought a bunch more decoys and hope to really get after them this next season.

2. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

the area your talking about seems to be a good one, though i'm fairly new to the state and waterfowling, that i've heard mention as a good area esp. for geese.

3. mag10

mag10 Guest

Sterling area

4. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

There are good SWA's all over the state. In most cases the SWA's do not require a drawing, but are first come first serve. The Colorado Division of Wildlife has printed material that will help you locate SWA's in your area of the state.

Another resource is the NWR's in the southern part of Colorado. To be specific Monte Vista and Alamosa provide excellent duck and goose hunting. You can hunt Monte Vista and Alamosa during the week without any reservation or drawing. On weekends and holidays both of the NWR have a lottery draw system that is fairly complex, but keeps the number of hunters on the properties in check.

My opinion, but there is excellent hunting in all parts of the state on public ground.

5. Losthwy

warthog

have you hunted the arapaho nwr near walden?
    if so what can you tell me about it.

6. WARTHOG

I have not hunted ducks or geese in the Jackson County / Walden area. I have Elk and Deer hunted in this area. It is supposed to be pretty good especially in the first split. The water in the Walden area becomes frozen pretty early in normal years.

There are several that post hunting reports for Jackson County / Walden. You should E-mail some of these folks for better information than I can provide.

7. EMan

EMan Senior Refuge Member

The Walden area's can be pretty busy during the weekends. I like to get up there mid-week, and have a mile of Illinois river all to my self. Jump Shooting is pretty much the norm in that area.

Check out the Delaney Butte Lakes area past lake John. There's 3 lakes and they can can loads of ducks. Tons of Gaddys in that area.

8. Losthwy

thanks guys. i'll have to make a trip out there, i hunt only during weekdays one of the benifits of being self employed, the only info i have of the area besides what i learned from you folks is around (expanding on what warthog said)nov 1 the waters freeze.

warthog- on which forum are the post for that area?

[ 05-06-2001: Message edited by: brian1 ]

9. WARTHOG

Now since we have a Colorado Forum on duckhunter.net this will probably become a geat place to post reports once the waterfowl season is open.

Also, have seen posts from Jackson County, Colorado on the waterfowler.com field report section. Just keep your eye out for posts once the season is about to open and guys start to scout the areas that you are interested in.

10. Losthwy

thanks. i hear you on posting reports on the colorado forum; should be informative for all.

brian