Hunting Migrators

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by snowbird, Dec 4, 2016.

1. snowbird

snowbird Senior Refuge Member

I live in ND just outside of Bismarck and about 8 miles from the Missouri River. The way the river bends the birds that are migrating down the river cut the corner right by my house both in spring and fall. Beginning in late September through January I see specks, snows, cranes, Canada's and ducks going over.

I'm not exactly sure where these birds are starting and I'm not sure where they are stopping but I've been entertaining the idea of setting up for the canadas. The canadas are sometimes migrating way high and sometimes they come over near shotgun range so they seem the most workable.

I know the exact flight line and can access some fields along the path. Normally we scout and hunt feed fields up here and I don't know anyone who does this or has even tried it. The appeal of this is primarily that I could set up a couple miles from the house and it would give me the opportunity to hunt when I can't scout and have limited time. The downside is that they never stop naturally along this route so it's true migrator hunting with no local birds to work.

Ive got 15 dozen real geese ps 2 7 dozen black and whites and 5 dozen shells and if I called a couple buddies we could double or triple that number. Wanting to set it out is another deal but decoys shouldn't be the issue.

The generally start moving around 9-10 this time of year.
    Would this work and what would you do?

2. negooseman

negooseman Senior Refuge Member

Huge spread and aggressive calling.

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Go big or stay home.
    You're going need to make the X they want to come to.

brentbullets likes this.
  4. gascrewgunn

gascrewgunn Senior Refuge Member

hunt the specks too. With agressive calling I routinely pull them to places they aren't necessarily goin...don't expect to land them though...shoot when in range!

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I have an area that is similar. I generally hunt it a couple times a year,..
    It may sound weird but Im hunting geese on BLM ground , I find an opening in the sage and set up.
    I dont use a lot of decoys and with fresh snow they seem quite willing

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Don't feel weird. Dad and I did the same thing back in Southern NV.

7. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Was there any other choice in Nevada!

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

You got a point there.