Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Hunting Snows in the Rain??

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Meach, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Meach

Meach Elite Refuge Member

Got a hunt planned in AR Sat about 85 miles from my house. Weatherman predicting rain all day 1 inch or more. You guys that hunt a lot....how does rain generally effect the hunting? Temperature will be about 50. We would be hunting migrators. Thanks for any input.

2. Lslu60

Lslu60 Refuge Member

3. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Forget it. If going with an outfittwr ask to move your date. The outfitter would probably even appreciate it. They can be killed in any conditions but why be miserable and wet doing it if you can avoid it. I have done it and a steady rain would be my absolute last choice to hunt in.

I just don't hate them bad enough!!!!

Good luck

4. marshmob

marshmob Elite Refuge Member

Never had luck in the rain. Now as soon as it stops, that’s a different story.

5. Meach

Thanks for the advice. Not going with an outfitter. Have invited some guests but they would probably like to skip it also.

6. hannibal

Go Sunday. Also, rain is really hard on gear including sock decoys if you a running them. It often gets mud all over decoys which can be alot of work to get cleaned up. Have to be sure you get them dried which requires laying them out and turning on the fans. Lots of extra crappy work that can be avoided.

If u do go let us know how it goes!!!

Good luck

7. thunderfromdownunder

thunderfromdownunder Senior Refuge Member

Had back to back hundred bird days in it a few years back. It can be awesome it’s a mess. Also wished I would have been in the fog days that followed though

8. Meach

Talked to my hunting buddies. Decided to sit this one out. We hunted last weekend in terrible mud but no rain. Hopefully snows will still be around NE AR Feb 17th.

9. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

Hunted a feeding WW field 3 years ago. The "light mist" that was forecasted turned into an all day heavy mist, we shot 71 and would have been over a 100 if a damn passhooter wasn't in between us and the roost. I'm so glad I brought waders that day.

We drove trucks into the field and almost got ATVs stuck getting out.

marsh man dan likes this.
  10. hannibal

Lot tougher than me and maybe younger. I'm 51 but just no desire to do that anymore. I would much rather keep equipment clean/dry and avoid getting pneumonia that sit in an all day rain/heavy mist to shoot these miserable critters although I'm sure a big shoot can and does occur on these days. I would rather have sleet and/or snow as it at least bounces off. Too much snow and then you have other problems especially when it is blowing.

OK, let's quit talking about these crappy weather scenarios and hope for clear, bright skies with 15-20 mph winds and temps in the 40-55 degree range! Can't wait for that!

Good luck.