Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

"Hybrid" boat pics

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by djc, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BrownDrake

BrownDrake Elite Refuge Member

I built the regular hybrid this summer and used it out on the Laguna Madre (Texas inter coastal waterway) last month. At 5'9", I found it a little short for how I wanted to hunt and I am seriously considering selling it this spring to build the 10' model. As for the squaring the nose, With the foam packed into the front for flotation, I'd recommend just building the 10' model and packing the front end with the foam as the usable part will already be squared due to the foam. I figure that I will either special order 10' plywood or I will patch it in on the back end with some frame work.

MA duck hunter likes this.
  2. Constructeur

Constructeur Senior Refuge Member

This is the strongest way to join sheets.

A pal and I used the Pygmy kayak build methods to turn out a couple of longer boats and they have held up well after running over submerged trees, rocks, sand bars, etc.

BrownDrake likes this.
  3. BrownDrake

BrownDrake Elite Refuge Member

Has anybody tried to lengthen a boat after you've built one? I'm thinking of selling mine and building a 10' to replace it as I'm trying to use it primarily as a layout and need a little more room to get low enough.

4. armallardbuster

armallardbuster Refuge Member

Hey guys, use to frequent the site 6-7 yrs ago on a daily basis then haven’t visited in several years. In fact this was unfortunately the 5th year in a row I didn’t get to duck hunt a single day. I am already planning g and gearing up for next year including building a hybrid boat, which I’ve wanted to do for several years. I keep going to the site and can’t seem to figure out how to order plans. I really want to build the NL but don’t see where to get them. It does show the free online plan on the site for the original hybrid, so I may jump in and try making it first to get my feet wet. I am not a wood worker at all so that is pretty intimidating to me although I can fiberglass easily and am pretty experienced in it. I will build the original and give it to my 9yr old son then hopefully can figure a way to get a set of plans for the NL. Open to any advice, tips, or tricks anyone has. Thanks

5. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

http://www.hybridduckboat.com/

Click on the model boat in the menu on left then there will be an add to cart button on the page it brings you to.

6. armallardbuster

armallardbuster Refuge Member

I try doing that and it doesn’t do anything like that, it may be because I’m using a mobile device? I click on the left tool bar and it just brings up the normal page again but nothing about models or how to get plans

7. darkvibe

darkvibe Senior Refuge Member

Try on a computer. The site uses Flash.

8. caniborrowsomeammo

caniborrowsomeammo New Member

Got plans a while back. Well, I ordered the resins and glass last Monday, they should get here Tuesday. Built a little Hybrid, it was ready in 2 days for resin. It didn't look like the dog would have enough room with my fat rear end in the little boat. Then started a 10.5 footer, it should be ready for resin Wednesday.
    I'm really itching to get them in the water.
    I plan on a mud motor on the 10.5, what has worked for you if you run one?

9. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

Hi Guys,

Looks like I haven't been around since September. Did get out and hunt some this year - shot the most ducks I've shot in years.

Life is taking it's toll on the whole Hybrid thing - no-one seems to want the designs themselves, and I have let the website lapse. It's pretty much done. If you can make the website (older style website) work, I have gotten a couple orders recently and will fill whatever ones come thru...

The whole photobucket fiasco didn't help either - they really put a hurting on all the helpful photos and such. I don't have time to go back thru everything I've ever written and replace pictures. Do us all a favor and boycott them.

I've kinda slid into a representative position for hunters at a nearby national wildlife refuge. Focusing on figuring out how to keep the refuge from cutting days from our hunts and numbers from the available permits. The whole issue stems from unethical hunters setting up too close to folks and being too competitive. As soon as someone gets a shower of shot from an idiot who came in late, tried to bluff them out of their spot, and then has the gall to shoot in their direction - the refuge gets tough and starts eliminating opportunities. Go figure.

Other than that I still work all the time and am going to try to start fishing again - my fishing boat has been in a barn since 2006. I just re-registered it and the trailer today - had to sign an affidavit swearing that I haven't used either since then. Motor started on second pull! Pressure washing it tomorrow and fishing Sunday.

Sorry if this makes it tough on anyone - Hybrids are fun to build and hunt like a dream. You can get a kayak for less but you can't layout in a kayak.

10. MA duck hunter

MA duck hunter New Member

Hi MissedAgain,

I just ordered the plans last night! So there is at least one of us still out here...I am excited to start my build once the weather improves a bit.

It is a shame about photo bucket, luckily not all the pics out there are with them so you can see a fair amount just by using google image searches.

I agree that Kayaks have become very popular lately. I contemplated one, but ultimately decided that the hybrid was for me because:
    1. You can actually layout comfortably
    2. More stable (this is my assumption)
    3. You get a bit of weather/water protection
    4. I would trust it in better in more open water
    5. Customizable
    6. Lighter
    7. COST!!!! (I'm hoping to save $1000 vs the Nucanoe I was looking at)

Take care and thanks in advance for the plans! I will post pictures once I build.