Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Hydroturf on top of diamond plate?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by sdhunter, Feb 2, 2018.

1. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Didn't want to hi-jack another thread....anybody with experience with HT on top of diamond plate aluminum boat floor? I have HT already on all the other surfaces (front/rear decks, side rails and etc...), but the floor is diamond plate, but would like to HT it for noise and barefoot comfort in the summer heat.

Thanks,
    Mike

2. shooter

shooter Elite Refuge Member

Kudos on the anti-hijack! Have not done diamond plate, but I think you'd be OK. In this situation, surface prep would be the key. There should be enough surface contact between the raised area to hold the HT. You'll need to be sure to do an extra thorough job of rolling right after you install, make sure you get maximum surface contact and compression. I'd think the HT would form around the raised parts and the top surface would smooth out the bumps a little. Since you've already done Ht you know how good it is, you'll dig it on the floor of your boat.

3. letmwurk

letmwurk Elite Refuge Member

I put it on diamond plate on on an old boat. Shooter is correct that surface prep is really key. I bought the kind with the adhesive already on it but I also sprayed down 3M 5200 to make sure there was contact everywhere particularly around the bases of each diamond. Put it on very slowly and carefully and make sure the ht makes contact at the base of each diamond. I also used heavy sandbags with weights on top after I laid it down to make sure the ht was held down on every square inch. I had no problem with it once it was on.

4. cajunduck man

cajunduck man Senior Refuge Member

I put it on a new boat with diamond plate last year. I did everything that letmwurk did and before the sandbags I used a roller, the type that one would use to put a laminate counter top down. This is my primary fishing boat, an Edge, and I have not had any issues with it. I changed the hydro-turf in my Gator-Trax this past year after 8 years. If you don't keep it completely out of the sun just make sure you have a cover on it.

5. Fowl-Action

Fowl-Action Senior Refuge Member

I have a front trolling motor deck on my boat that is made out of diamond plate that I put self adhesive type hydroturf over. Its not a huge area so I just made sure that I pushed down the turf really good around the bumps from the diamond plate. Its been on there for two seasons so far and no issues

6. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Thank you Gentlemen :tu:tu:tu

7. interceptor

interceptor Refuge Member

Late to the party, but I put the self adhesive stuff on my diamond plate on my boat about 8 years ago. Still going strong, not even a hint of pull up.