I cannot live by Ducks and Geese alone

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by California Flyway, Feb 21, 2012.

1. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

Me and a couple of buddies decided to raise some pigs. I agreed to build the pen and watering system, butcher, brine and smoke some parts, then vacuum seal and deliver. My other buddies split up the feeding chore and cost of food.
    For a pen I found a local source of free wood pallets. I set them up in a good sized square lashed together with #9 grape wire and anchored with T-posts. Fast and cheap. We bought piglets from a local rancher.

When they got to size I dispatched with a 22 mag, lifted with a gambrel on a pulley with my truck. After skinning and gutting, I took them over to a rancher friend's walk-in cooler and processing room to harden up at 42 degrees. Sure makes it nice to use a real butchering, band saw. I cut as much as I could into chops, with shoulders and picnic roasts all vacuum packed
    I wet brined the hams and dry brined the bacon, hocks, trotters and jowls.

After seven days in brine I took the meat to be smoked to a buddy that has a real old school smoker oven. It is a brick lined oven that you build a very small, dry oak fire on the side and then feed in limb pieces of green apple wood. I got the internal meat temps up to just 150 degrees It takes a bit of tending but produces very nice stuff. Satisfying work. We are happy with the final product which came out very tasty due to all the garden scraps, acorns and out of date milk products from local stores in addition to high quality standard pig feed.
    We are going to buy some more piglets in the spring and do another run.
    [​IMG]
    Bacon ready to load
    [​IMG]
    Brined pork ready to smoke
    [​IMG]
    Special old school smoking oven
    [​IMG]
    Finished load of bacon, hams, jowls, hocks, and trotters.

2. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Looks awesome!

3. dragon1681

dragon1681 Elite Refuge Member

Made my mouth water.

Tom

4. TUGREENHEADHUNTER

TUGREENHEADHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

That looks awesome. How do I get there?

5. Brokenwing Outfit

Brokenwing Outfit Refuge Member

I enjoyed seeing these pictures. I just ate some homemade liver sausage (pork) that was butchered this weekend. Nothing like doing it yourself. :yes

6. Birdup

Birdup Moderator

That looks great.

So what did they come out to per pound? I've thought of this a few times but I just can't beat the $.50 lbs I can get a live milk and grain raised pig for here.

That smoked applewood sounds awsome.:tu