I can't eat duck

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by whitedice, Sep 15, 2016.

1. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

Well I think that you should infer that fat causes flavor.

It's no different than for venison. 90% of the gamey flavor in venison is from the bone marrow and fat. Remove both and it's a LOT better tasting (and yet idiots use a band saw to saw up the steaks running it through the fat and marrow spreading it all over the meat! :doh So debone it, trim the fat off, and hand slice into steaks! :yes )

Same goes for fowl, as usually removing the skin/fat it'll have a lot less gamey taste. And yes what they eat does reflect their taste. Be it a Mule deer eating Sage brush or a mallard duck in the flax feeding for a few days. (where's the barf smiley when you need it?) Up here in north plains with Puddlers you have a better chance of them foraging in a corn, barley, etc. Not so with Divers, as you never know what they have been eating, especially crustaceans or worse yet minnows. (barf smiley needed again) And why I pass on flying darts (Mergies, etc).

So from my experience as a rule of thumb, remove the skin/fat and with marinating you will have a LOT more palatable taste with the fowl. The exception is Mallard/Pintails feeding for a few weeks on the small grains of like Barely, Oats, wheat or of corn, rice. As these can make for a nice roasted duck. :cool:

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Blacks and mallards (that start the bad habits of the blacks) eat the little black snails found in clear creeks around here. I can tell a difference in the meat from them versus mallards shot from agricultural fields. Typically have a little stronger smell as well.

3. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Actually, it does, well not the corn itself, but something in the corn. Yellow corn, invertebrate exoskeletons, and snail shells all contain relatively high concentrations of carotenoids. Carotenoids are fat soluble and will change the color of an animal's fat if that animal's diet is high in carotenoids. Small grains (wheat, rice, etc.) and most moist soil seed contain little or no carotenoids. So ducks with diets that are high in carotenoids will have yellow fat, while ducks with diets containing fewer carotenoids will have paler, whitish fat.

Squaller likes this.
  4. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

I've noticed a correlation between flesh color and taste, the lighter the better.
    Dark red meat, not good.

Billy Bob likes this.
  5. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

You're missing my point; of course the fat is what gives the flavor---but the diet is what affects the fat; it's the root cause, not the fat itself.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

I have noticed this in divers.

7. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

So, shoveler, and gadwall should be good eating.

( Actually, I don't have a problem eating either one, but they are typically lighter than other ducks.)

TD

8. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

They're not??? ;)

I'm still curious; does anyone render the fat and use for cooking?

9. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I would have agreed with you several years ago... But canvasbacks have a very dark color to the meat (at least compared to puddle ducks), and make for superb table meat (similar with redheads).

10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

I think they are.