I feel you guys should know about this

Discussion in 'Colorado Flyway Forum' started by Waterproof, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Waterproof

Waterproof Elite Refuge Member

I wanted to post this here and let my Colorado forum family know what is going on with me.

On July 14, 1996, at the age of 23, I had open heart surgey to repair a deteriorating valve that was destroyed by Rhuematic fever as a child. At the time I was the youngest patient to have received that surgery and kept their original valve. They told me then that I would more then likely need open heart surgery again sometime in my life due to my heart disease.

Two weeks ago I made an appointment with my doctor to have a checkup done as I was feeling fatigue and more tired then usual. They did an Echocardiogram on me and discovered that my valve was deteriorating to a point where it is not functioning like it should be once again. My cardiac doctor told me that surgery looked imminant and he wanted to run some more tests on me yesterday to see for sure.

Yesterday I went in for a Cardiac Catheterization. Let me tell you how much fun that was. For those of you that don't know they lay you flat on your back and insert a catheter tube in your Femural artery and a second one into your femural vein. They run the catheters up into your heart and take pressure reading inside and around your heart in you arterys and veins. They inject you with a dye that to check your blood flow and they can see on the monitors. The good news is that I have zero blockages in any of my Pulminary arteries. Which means that I have very little worries of a heart attack. However they also found that my valve is narrowed significantly and leaking a fair amount of blood through it.

Now I have to go meet with a cardiac surgeon this Friday and set up another appointment for open heart surgery. They are going to go in and install a Bio-mechanical valve in place of my Mitral valve. The good news is that they valve should never need to be replaced again. My heart will return to pretty much normal after the surgery. I will be able to work out once again which I am looking forward to since my physical activity has been limited for the last 8 years now. The bad news is I will be on blood thinners the rest of my natural life to prevent clots from forming on my new valve and I will be on restricted activity for 3 months.

When I meet with the surgeon I am going to try and push this surgery off until the middle of June so I can make it to the Second Annual Colorado Fuge Lake Fest. If I can get it going in time I will also get a west slope gathering in there if you guys would like.

I just wanted to let you guys know what is happening right now so if I disappear of the forums for a little while or don't seem quite like my normal self this I hope will explain some things.

2. Blindfool

Blindfool Senior Refuge Member

Thoughts and Prayers.:tu

3. USMC

USMC Elite Refuge Member

Take care of yourself first then we will worry about the rest.
    My prayers are with you and your family.
    Hurry up and get well so we can enjoy the rest of the summer.:tu

4. GOOSELOVE

GOOSELOVE Senior Refuge Member

Rodney,

Sorry to hear that.

I have had that catheterization done three time in the last five years, not fun. Massive heart attack in '99, lost about a third of the heart.

At least they can replace your mitral valve and like you say you will be as good as new when it's all done.

You might want to check into a support group called Mended Hearts, they have all kinds of information on valve replacement and recovery.

If i can help just let me know

My thoughts and prayers are with you.

God Bless

Terry

5. Gander D. Bander

Gander D. Bander Elite Refuge Member

You take care of yourself Rodney...you ever need anything you just let me or us know we'll GITERDONE!:tu

6. Renegade

Renegade Senior Refuge Member

Thoughts & Prayers Are With You.... Keep us posted

7. goosechaser

goosechaser Senior Refuge Member

Take care friend. You'll have my thoughts and prayers as well.

Goosechaser

8. Water Swatter

Water Swatter Senior Refuge Member

9. Losthwy

Losthwy Elite Refuge Member

A toast to your health. Good luck.:tu

10. fattire75

fattire75 Senior Refuge Member

Let us know if you need anything.

Take Care,

Jason in Denver