I found this interesting and productive

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Easterncanadafowler, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Easterncanadafowler

Easterncanadafowler Senior Refuge Member

I have been duck hunting in a river for 12 years or so and have always seen a few geese, one two flocks of a dozen or so.The last few years i had been putting out 8 goose floaters and 2 goose butts as confidence decoys in with my ducks.This year at one point someone stole 6 floaters and my bag from my jon boat while parked on my trailer when we we were having supper.The next time i hunted that hole i put out my two remaining floaters and the butts, had my homemade duck butt pumping, feeding frenzy splashing around and my lucky duck spinner spinning wide open and then my 6 blacks, 6 mallards and some other butts.I had never shot at a goose in that spot before.That day around 12 floated up to us and we flushed them and got 5 then another flock decoyed in like they were on a string and we got 4 and then we picked up two more singles.The moral to the story is and i know there can be a lot of different factors but 1)i got more geese with less decoys.2)none of my motion decoys bothered them the geese swam up 10 -12 yards from them.and then decoyed in about the same distance when we took them .The day we got our limit of 10 geese someone else had shot at them 300 meters away and they took of and i think we cut them off on the way back to the roost.It was an awesome day of geese and ducks.This is a picture from our DUCK hunt...

Attached Files:

2. xtrema2

xtrema2 Refuge Member

What part of eastern Canada are you from??

3. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Nicely done!!! Just wondering the way the geese went into that spread you out, could they have been new birds born in the spring or don't you get a lot of pressure there?

4. Easterncanadafowler

The birds were small and large that day so I figured some of each, this years and older as well.The could not have come in any better and for us to get 5 out of 6 shots is really good.The window where they came in almost landed and we took them was pretty small and the can get out fast as we know.It's one i'll remember for along time.The ones swimming in the current and towards as was very cool since most times on the water for me the swim away once they land and usually land outside our range since it's beig water.I just remembered that using the same spread while huting ducks late October we had 6 land that we did not see (foggy)and they swam along the shore and out around a point and we never had time to switch the loads and we killed 2 dead when they flushed using #3 shot.I never would have though we'd kill them that far away but we did.
    Maybe this year we just got luck on the geese and the duck numbers are way down in my area so good thing...

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

What happened may not ever happen again, or it might happen a dozen more times. however dont base all your future hunts on that one day.
    Think of it as a great unique experience.
    Goose decoys are great duck confidence decoys

Spencer5100 likes this.
  6. Easterncanadafowler

Yeah only time will tell but they sure help picking off a few geese while duck hunting.Last year we had the 6 decoys that were stolen and we got 3 geese on duck opener and then 7 the following week .I have learned the hunts you think are going to be asure thing sometimes are bad and the ones that are not well scouted and you just take a chance can be great.

All that crap i use to believe about seperating the blacks from the mallards from the geese is BS. Just watch the birds in the wild.