I had to throw out a bunch of duck :( here's what I am doing about it

Discussion in 'Cooking Forum' started by StuartHunts, Sep 12, 2016.

1. StuartHunts

StuartHunts New Member

Hey Everyone!

After throwing out a bunch of duck due to freezer burn a little while back I decided enough was enough. I was tired of throwing out my spoils, and felt a little bit guilty to boot. There has to be a way to keep food fresh, and to keep it from being freezer burned. I started reading around and found my solution. A vacuum sealer.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I set out to buy something I tend to obsess over it. I have to know all of the nuances to make sure I am getting the right one for me, and at a fair price. I wound up spending more than a month reading through everything I could on vacuum sealers before making a purchase. Instead of letting all of that go to waste I decided to share it with everyone in the form of a buyer's guide. Check it out if you are thinking of picking up a vacuum sealer.

You can read the guide at www.thevacuumsealerexpert.com. It's got some nifty tips and tricks, too.

2. CA Hunter

CA Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Yep, per your advise i bought Weston 65-0501-W. Thank you!
    Could not be happier. 2 deer, 4 pigs, multiple rabbits found their rest in bags sealed by it.
    I did not go with food saver because when i process deer or pig i have a lot of work to be done fast. As i understood from your review, the food saver not built for it as the Weston .

BTW, the cheapest rolls you can find on Amazon. $16-18 for two rolls of 11" wide 50 ft long.
    Could not find cheaper anywhere else.

3. duckblind

duckblind Senior Refuge Member

The best bags I have found are the Cabelas pre sized bags. These already have one end sealed, which makes things go a whole lot faster. If you catch them on sale they are a good buy.

4. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

5. CookMan

CookMan Elite Refuge Member

WOW! I did not realize you could vacuum seal ducks.

6. chuam

chuam Elite Refuge Member

Here's a trick I use to guarantee no freezer burn:

I pluck my birds, brine them and then put them in one of these:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/st...nsil-holder/1011707459?Keyword=utensil+holder

I can get 4 teal or 2 big ducks per container. I then add water to cover them and put it in the freezer. Once it's frozen solid I pull it out of the freezer. Run hot water to get it to release from the container then put it in a vacuum seal bag and seal it up. The water ensures there is no freezer burn. They stack nicely in the freezer and I can put the date and species on the freezer bag.

I went to my dad's house and he had a four pack of teal I had given him from 2 years prior he had forgotten about. We thawed it out and ate them. They had no freezer burn and looked and tasted like I had just shot them.