I have a ? for the gun experts.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by fatdad, May 24, 2016.

1. fatdad

fatdad Refuge Member

How much would lengthening the forcing cones help my pattern? Do you think its worth it?

2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

What's wrong with your pattern now?

What kind of gun/choke/shell combo are you using?

What kind of patterns are you getting and at what yardages?

At what yardage do you shoot most of your turkeys?

What is your goal if considering altering the gun?

3. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

What type of gun are you using?

4. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

The only honest answer anyone can give you is, "Maybe, maybe not."

Nope.

For hunting purposes, not needed. Now, if you enter Turkey Shoots at the Professional level, then maybe. But, if you were that kind of shooter, you wouldn't have asked.

BTW, all the previous questions are important ones.

5. fatdad

fatdad Refuge Member

I have a t/c encore. 3" 12 I have 2 x full turkey chokes. I have shot factory trap, field, and turkey loads (from 3 different companies) plus trap and field reloads. I have shot targets at 16 to 40 yards. I feel I have bigger holes than I should and a larger pattern than I should. I would like to tighten my pattern and close some gaps. I shoot most of my turkeys at 40 yards or less. Passed on a 45 yard shot this year.

6. redjones

redjones Senior Refuge Member

Think about this a little longer and pattern a few more shells before you start to mess around with your gun,I am sure if you put some range time in with a few different loads you will come up with something you will be happy with.
    Maybe check into a couple more chokes first,before you alter your gun.
    I am just throwing out a couple of suggestions,hope it works out.

Greg

7. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Good advice here...

At 40 yards, what size shot are you using. What size load. I would play with those things before I reamed out my barrels.

8. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

If I had to name a gun model that could benefit from a LFC, the Encore does come to mind...

That gun kicks a bit, so a LFC could reduce felt recoil...

Depending on the shot material being used, a better pattern might be produced...

Fairly sure that most of the common turkey loads are pretty hard, so maybe deformation is not a big issue?

I do know of quite a few coned guns that pattern very well though...Browning Golds for one...

9. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

I am no expert, and I haven't seen your patterns, but I would think that if you are only shooting to 40, you should be able to find a choke/load combo that would be more than OK. I, like you, don't take long(er) shots on turkey. I passed on two shots this year on the same bird in the same day, and went home empty handed (I'm 99% certain I could have killed him either time, but I didn't want to risk it).

Another option may be finding someone who does hand-loads and play around with them.

10. Vahunter

Vahunter Senior Refuge Member

I'm going to say it very well may benefit you. Someone said turkey loads are usually hard shot but that other stuff, not necessarily. A good gunsmith that does a lot of forcing cones would be the person to ask. AND can the forcing cone be safely lengthened on that barrel? Good luck whatever you do.