I have a ? for the gun experts.

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by fatdad, May 24, 2016.

1. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Considering you limit yourself to 40 yards, we share similar personal limits, I'd suggest trying a lot more ammo and possibly additional chokes. Try premium loads with smaller shot to start (6-7.5). If you can't find a factory load/choke combo that provides an exceptional pattern to 40 yards, I'd sell the gun and buy something else before messing with custom gun work which might or might not work. With modern shot types, loadings and chokes, 40 yards is reasonably close range work on turkey.

2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I'd also suggest you check the old gobbler shooting forums. Most of the time you can find load/choke combination suggestions for your particular make and model. Some of those guys are VERY serious. I know they saved me a ton of time and money in experimentation when my favorite 20 gauge turkey load was discontinued.

3. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

I'd say taking the time to polish your barrel will have a much bigger effect than lengthening your forcing cones, unless like some have said you have a gun with habitual forcing cone issues. Most guns from the last decade have much longer forcing cones than older guns. I typically see about a 10% or better increase in pattern density at 40 yards after polishing, and almost elimination of dead spots.

gooseaholic likes this.
  4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I'd sell the gun before investing time and money on the forcing cones as well.

You will spend about $100 (plus shipping back and forth) and will not increase the value of the gun at all on an $800 gun...

Talking to others who have had forcing cone work done, Randy Wakeman's comments seem applicable:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/shotgun_forcing_cone_length.htm

Before doing anything, I would call Thompson/Center and see what they recommend, or if there is anything they can do... They tout this gun as a premier turkey hunting gun, and I would think it should pattern a turkey load reasonably well.

I know for me, Hevi-shot patterns far tighter than lead in turkey loads. On a really good year, I shoot three shells, so cost is not much of an issue with this ammunition. Better range, better patterns, and better down-range energy...

5. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Elite Refuge Member

I agree with this 100%