I hope (insert state affiliation here) don't move to where I live...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Oct 6, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

We all seem to have certain states that we don't want their people to move where we live. I know for us, it's Californians. What I'm wondering is, are the reasons we all don't want "those people from that state" to move next to us, the same reasons?

I don't live in a highly populated area, but I don't live 50 miles from my nearest neighbor either. When people come to visit this area, they enjoy it and it is normal to hear people say they would like to live here.

Then come the changes...

We don't always have as strict of rules as their HOA did, and so they want to make it so Ted down the street can't park his camp trailer in his driveway, or they want to make it so Sally two blocks over can't have a rooster with her four hens. And "nobody" should have more than two dogs.

Why is that antenna on your roof?!!! I can see it and it offends the beauty of the scenery that I moved here to enjoy! (Because I wan't to watch TV and that's where the guy installed it and I don't mind it there)

Why is internet $50 a month! In California I only paid $20 and it was faster!
    (Because we don't live next to major connecting points as far as the internet goes and so it cost more to get the internet backhaul here, so it cost more per month - it's called economics)

I can smell the manure from that farmers cows! We need to do something about that!
    (His family has raised cattle here decades before you showed up. That's the smell of money to him and his family. Why should he change because "you" showed up?)

And on, and on, and on... For us, by and large, it's Californians that are this way. They move here because it's peaceful and a beautiful area of the country, and then want to change it so it feels like California. :scratch

I -don't- get it.

If you want it to be just like where you came from, then why not stay there? If you were miserable where you came from, there must have been a reason for it. Maybe it was all the uptight stupid rules and laws you left behind? Maybe try leaving them there and stop being... well... a Californian?

Ok, I know that not all Californians are this way, but these are the people we joke about and the ones we avoid. What state is your "California"?

BirdJ, WHUP ! Hen and Doc E like this.
  2. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Great Lakes region... MN, WI, and IL especially... rude, cant drive, and won't tip.

Edit- oh and MI, see a lot of those plates

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  3. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

City people in general....more and more of our once rural farming community is becoming McMansion subdivisions and stripmalls. I see guys driving around in foreign cars wearing tight pants and scarves as fashion accesories drinking $8 coffees everywhere i look. Makes me sick.

verminater71 and creedsduckman like this.
  4. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

someone from MN mustve taken your mom out for a real nice seafood dinner and never called her again

GK1 and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  5. TheDuckSlayer

Negative ghost rider.. it's all old people who are looking to retire or winter somewhere cheap and warm.. they just aren't the type of people who are from around here, and it's very obvious.

6. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Here its people from ritzy Chi town suburbs. Naperville, Aurora, Hoffman Estates, etc. Come to escape the rat race, usually and buy up river front property. Then they whine and moan at city council meetings and public forums about fisherman and duck hunters and trappers and other river rats...doing river rat things...on a river.

7. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Southern Il folks are pretty swell people generally.

People from Northern IL and Wi can bite the big one. In Wisconsin not only is 8% an adequate tip, if you dont act gracious for it you'll get a sanctimonious lecture from a guy who will drive off in a 2017 F350 to his 800k house.

Also "go pack go" makes me want to puke.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  8. Rice Hunter

Rice Hunter Senior Refuge Member

sdk- how bad is the california invasion?

I'm scouting land in your state and potentially MT for retirement. I've been in both big game hunting over the years and lived for 6 glorious months in Billings many years ago. Most of my trips out west now are spent in the high country, so I'm not witnessing the "city invasion" when I'm there.

I leave for MT in less than 2 weeks. Can't wait.

9. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

It's horrible. Tell everyone you meet that Idaho is ruined and not even worth visiting any more...

10. TheDuckSlayer

Yea.. I think that rural folks are pretty much the same everywhere... unfortunately they aren't the ones traveling to the gulf coast to retire.

J.SCOTT likes this.