I kind of own this forum

Discussion in 'Upland Game Forum' started by Creek Henry, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Brdhntr47

Brdhntr47 Elite Refuge Member

No upland till Oct. 1 here.

Dennis

2. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Opening day was slow; very little flying. I only had a couple of shots. I tried Sunday morning also; I saw nothing. I guess the birds are hanging around cities where there is water.

But, it rained some so I'll try to hit the fields this afternoon or tomorrow. Hopefully, the cooler weather will get them flying a little.

3. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Well the only upland that has opened for us is dove (September 1 ? 15). This year, my daughter turned one year old, and I was not quite ready to take her.

My father and my sister and I made it out for the opener. We all had our limits, but my sister had to take off quick for work, so we did not get the end of the hunt pics.

I stole most of these pics from my father who took them.:eek:

Dad and Sis:
    [​IMG]

Me and Sis:
    [​IMG]

The next weekend, we got a sitter for our baby, and my wife made it out with me. She killed 4 birds, and I had my limit plus one Eurasian dove:
    [​IMG]
    I was actually really impressed with her shooting. There were not a lot of birds, and they were passing over, not coming in. I was very surprised at how well she actually shot.

All in all, I made it out 8 times with limits of mourning dove each time. I had one really good shoot with my father in which I also killed 13 bonus Eurasian dove, plus a pigeon. My father had a limit plus one Euro and 4 pigeons:
    [​IMG]

I am looking forward to the valley quail season, as that is my main upland bird. I also kill a few pheasants, and quite a few snipe (if they can be counted as upland?). We also shoot a fair number of dove during the second season which opens in November.

4. Creek Henry

Creek Henry Elite Refuge Member

Nice to hear someone is shooting! I went out again last evening. I saw 4 dove total and only got 2 shots. I thought the cooler, wetter weather might help get them moving but I guess I will wait for a real cold snap to hit then try it again.