I need a layout boat..new/used...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by FOWL BALL, May 4, 2013.

1. FOWL BALL

FOWL BALL Senior Refuge Member

wanting to purchase a new layout boat maybe used..
    BFO/UFO...are tops on my list based on websites. suggestions
    single man low profile...

2. grnhd

grnhd Elite Refuge Member

Layout boats wont work here in west ky,no need for you to try one:l:joker

3. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

depends on what type of water you are going to be hunting in and the birds you are wanting to target. UFO are great big water boats......with that said you are not going to be shooting mallards with them. I don't have any experence with bfos

MLBs are also a popular choice they are roomy boats set up similar to the ufo. I have heard though they leak out of the box...however this is hear say so take it for whats it worth.

if you are a smaller build and gunning smaller water you can get away with the lower profile boats such as the bonnievilles or waterfowl works erie style boats. The lower the profile boat that you purchase the higher your decoying rate will be. for example if you place a bonnieville that is 6'' tall up against a ufo that is 12 or so. the bonnie will decoy more birds. This has been my experence.

I have owned a UFO and now own a two bonnie big brothers. I notice my decoy rate has increased. I actually really like the bonnies, I am having tony make a taller spray shield so that I can hunt bigger waves with it. My advice is ask around I'm sure their are guys that will let you look at their layouts. Sit in a few and go from their.

heres one of the bonnies on the left and a ufo on the right. keep in mine the bonnie is broadside so that he could shoot behind him.

[​IMG]

4. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Fowlball I am the owner of Waterfowl Works and build the Erie, UFO and Legacy.

First thing is the BFO is merely a copy of our Erie boat with a slightly modified box. The owner bought plans built the boat and then made molds and even openly admitted it on his original website. LOL. I cant speak for the boat as I have never touched one by I can tell you they are much like the Erie and or Busick as that is what he built it from.

The UFO is a slightly higher boat indeed but with the extra couple inches comes a lot more room for guys that have feet larger than a size 8 and are larger than 5ft 8in ish.

A lot of things decide how your new layout will float. Mainly being the amount of weight in the boat. A boat like the Erie will float level with 150lbs in it as to where a UFO requires 250lbs to float level which leaves 8 3/4" above the water line.

So if you can provide some more details or give us a call I would be glad to discuss your personal needs and make a recommendation as to which boat would fit you personally best.

5. TonyH

:tu
    I love this photo. If the hunter in the UFO would have gotten down about 6 more inches and not had his head sticking up and causing the bow to lift slightly or been slightly heavier to float it on the chine perfectly you wouldn't even see it:tu

And the guy in the other boat is sticking out badly as well and the lower boat makes him stand out even more.

I can't stress enough how important it is to get your butt down in the boat as low as you can. You will see the birds when the hit the decoys.:tu

I didn't realize this was your photo.

It would appear you have the decoys set off to both sides of the layouts and are trying to bring them right in the middle right at the layouts. Move your decoys tighter to the layouts and create runways for the birds to funnel into the spread so they are NOT looking directly at the boats and your success rate will go WAY up if your struggling getting them close.

6. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

Very true the guy in the Bonnie does stick out. He's 240is and right at 6'. We learned quick that you better be thin for a low profile boat. We are toning up a bit for this season. UFOs are great big water rigs, ver stable and very comfy. I just felt I was losing opertunities because of its large foot print in calmer water.

As for the spread you are rig we started pulling them tighter to the boats and it seemed to help.

7. GBH1979

GBH1979 New Member

''MLBs are also a popular choice they are roomy boats set up similar to the ufo. I have heard though they leak out of the box...however this is hear say so take it for whats it worth.'' Yes some of them do. I d stay away from them.

I own 2 ufo's and have no complaints, awesome open water layout. Like Tony said as long as your not parascoping the birds will be in your face. As for the bonnie i ve never seen one in person, but they seem more suited for lakes and rivers where you ll encounter more puddle ducks, geese. Just my two cents, happy shopping.

8. TonyH

Everyone's first thought is always the boats when things don't go as planned. In our experience generally is not the boats but almost always something else. Decoy placement, the hunter sticking out of the boat and or moving are almost always the problem. When you cram a guy in a smaller boat its uncomfortable so its normal to stick out and move around a lot.

I am a smaller fella and love the Erie myself but I always find us using the UFO because of the guys who don't fit well enough to be comfortable and hidden well in it.

Decoy placement is 95% the issue.

Direct the birds away from looking at the boats in todays Layout world and you will find you could kill them in a big red boat sitting out there.:tu

9. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

So does this mean they're good boats or bad boats? :confused::confused:

10. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

Yes, agreed.

This is how we always try to do it.