I need a layout boat..new/used...suggestions?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by FOWL BALL, May 4, 2013.

1. FOWL BALL

FOWL BALL Senior Refuge Member

Tony,
    I will say you have one advantage over the other. I go to Greenville,OH at least once maybe twice a year.(ELDORA SPEEDWAY). Also go to Cincy a few times as well. Picking up the boats would be no wasted gas money or travel expenses of any kind. I will be using the boats to hunt the lakes in wky. Hunting mainly shallow flats. Using the boats just for divers, We can hunt puddles else where. How much time do i need to give you in advance to prepare a boat for me? If I happen to be in the area, do you have a shop or something I can stop by and check out a few boats?
    Im weigh 220 other guy weighs about the same. We would be mostly using them. the rest of the guys hunting on a limited basis weigh a little less. But I dont want to limit a big guy (240+) hopping in one either.

grnhd, Ingram is getting tired of me hunting off there barges...;)

2. TonyH

TonyH Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Fowlball, Heck ya if your that close stop by and check them out. We would welcome you to do so.

The earlier you order the safer you are for delivery for duck season. Give me a call anytime 937-418-7207

PS. 220lbs is tight in a small boat such as the Erie.

3. TonyH

What determines a good boat from a bad boat?

4. duckkillerclyde

duckkillerclyde Banned

quality for the price
    durability
    stealth
    comfort
    longevity of the craft
    overall price
    warranty

I have to tell you this and you're a boat builder? c'mon!

5. TonyH

Nope. I was just curious and since I have never been in the BFO knock off boats I cannot answer your question other than its basically a look a like copy of our Erie layout boat built from the plans.

To me the answer is simple.

How and what the product is made from. And is the price comparable for what I am receiving in quality and workmanship. If the quality and workmanship of a product is there 9 times out of ten a warranty wont be needed as it will far surface any factory warranty that would be offered.

Comfort and stealth are specific to a individual and I must say that's something Only I can decide for myself. What may be comfortable for me won't be for someone else. But that doesn't make a product good or bad does it?

6. Tealer

Tealer Senior Refuge Member

I wouldn't worry about the foot print of a UFO on a calm day. I hunted a lot of calm days in the last season and it didn't seem to matter.

7. Nelliboy2

Nelliboy2 Elite Refuge Member

you are correct the only three times I have had it affect me was A) when it was calm (I don't hunt a lot of calm days so it may have just been the spread idk). B) in a swallow water/marsh situation I have had it affect me if their isn't a chop on the water......as long as you have some chop on the water (6'' or more you will do just fine). C) I have had it affect puddlers, with that said I have yet to kill any puddlers out of a layout boat besides a few teal. Hopefully I can change that this season.

I will say it is a VERY comfy boat. Large enough for just about anyone to gun out of and is very stable. I will also say for the big water on erie she served me well and even though I sold mine she will still be in our spread.:dv

In reality their were only a handful of reasons why I bought two bonnies and that was because I felt and still do that the lower profile matched with the slick glossy finish disapears very well in just about any water. If you look at the picture above minus the guy sitting in the boat that I think was dicking around with something the boat does blend in very well.

The other reason why I bought one is I liked the ad ons that tony sells. I have the decoy magnuts that I really enjoy. I think escpeilily in shallow water they work wonders when you can put all the singles you want around the boats and then have decoys all over the layout itself. I think that matched with the covers he sells (i am having some muddy water brown made up) that it will be good in a marsh and or muddy water and should be very deadly on puddlers assuming I can figuare out how to get them to commit.

I will say in the very limited amount of time i was able to hunt out of it this year (had two weeks left in the season when the truck dropped her off. I hunted 12 days out of it) that I really enjoyed her. I did notice birds getting very close to the layout and I was actually quite shocked. Now weither of not it was the change in boats or that I found a pocket of fresh birds IDK. I didn't get a chance to hunt my bonnie out in anything more than twos which is about standard but I have had my UFO in more than that. I do think I made a mistake in getting the kanvas spray shield. Tony is sending me 2 new plastic spray shields. The reason being that I think the kanvas puts off a shadow which I don't like on sunny days and number two I really think it blows the stealth of the boat....may not last as long but I don't think it would be that hard to find a guy to shrink wrap me a new one.

Overall I like both boats and both boats have their time and place. I've had many good hunts out of the UFO and it actually popped my cherry on a lot of new birds. I would recommend sitting in a couple of models and form an openion about the subject. I don't know how big of water you are going to be hunting and or how rough you will hutn in so I can't give you pointers on that. I tried to provide you with an honost review of both boats plusses and minuses.

8. RCO Brian

RCO Brian Senior Refuge Member

We had an MLB and it was a good boat. Hid well and pretty comfortable, but leaked at the seams within a couple of seasons. For the past 5 or so years we've been using Legacy's and have had no problems at all. Very good boats in my opinion:tu

9. racks n quacks

racks n quacks Refuge Member

go to the members list and look up DiverFreak he makes them. got 2 of his layboats here :tu

his website is www.lblayoutboats.com

tell him Ryan from PA sent ya... he is a great guy with steller boats

10. TonyH

Nellie, This is as good a review as one can give on there personal experiences with 2 different boats. Great job and well done.

Let me touch a couple things for you and everyone else.

We only have a couple options for our boats and they are ones we feel are important to offer. While we considered a camo cover for puddle ducks we found that most guys don't want to spend as much in options for a boat as the boat cost and can easily grab a few sheets of grass and accomplish the same thing or better by using something to blend into the surrounds its being used in. for example Icy water use a white sheet or visqueen, For marsh hunting use cattails or what ever is growing where your hunting and trying to hide. And always have a couple Supermag goose shells to throw over you and the cockpit to hide. Attach a string to it so when you throw it off to shoot its easily retrieved. And the cost for above is very minimal and does the same thing only better than a camo cover or magnets and special decoys.

As for the calm water scenario, I believe in todays layout hunting world its getting tougher to decoy birds compared to 10 years ago when we had to fight them off like flies. However with some common sense and thinking the set up through and patterning the birds if possible or being prepared to adjust you will kill birds even if your sitting up in the layouts. LOL

Another key factor is this. STAY DOWN IN THE BOAT! if your sticking up your creating a black blog that will be seen. Also get a grey oversized jacket to wear. The days of getting away with a camo jacket in a layout are about over in many places.

The bottom line is What ever layout you choose you need to make sure it fits your requirements do your homework. If you don't you may end up very unhappy with your purchase. Here is the list of to do's for everyone interested in layout boats.

1. make sure you fit comfortably both in foot room shoulders and length.
    2. never exceed the USCG capacity label
    3. insure the label numbers are correct and the boat has the required floatation as required by the USCG.

price, options, and profile should be after these 3 things are confirmed. And remember to see what weight the boat requires to float level on the chine and that it indeed floats level and is not unbalanced leaving the nose out of the water.