I need some help...no B.S this time (long,sorry).

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by callinfowl, Jun 10, 2019.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

We have a late 1990's 5th wheel rv.
    I was getting it ready for a trip so I plug into 110V household the outlet I plug into is 30 amp if that matters. Well the first thing I checked was the AC and refrigerator because it's hotter than Hades out here 104* yesterday and it's gonna be 110* + until at least Wed. then back down to the high 90's for the rest of the week. The AC and referigerator and freezer work great thank god. Next I check the inside lights and nothing, what the heck they should at least work with 12volt deep cycle battery, bingo the battery is shot, but that doesn't explain why the lights wouldn't work plugged into 110V shore power. I try charging the battery and nothing dead as dead can be ( just my luck). So I run down to Costco and buy a new Interstate deep cycle battery so I thought, as I'm hooking it up I notice it's a marine starting battery S.O.B., so I race back to Costco to get there before they close and they are pulling the rolling door down, thank god the lady was cool and she let me in. I exchange the battery, I made sure that I got the right one this time. Get it installed and all of a sudden I notice the lights are now on inside, what in the hell? I guess there has to be a battery to complete the circuit. So all is fine and dandy, until I open the refer to start loading it and the S.O.B is hot inside, what in the hell? I check the breakers in the trailer and the house and they are fine, check the fuses with a meter and they are fine.

So here's where I'm lost, is there a reset button on these Norcold refers? if so where would it be located? I can't find anything online and we didn't get the paperwork when we bought the trailer. I don't get how it would work perfectly since Saturday then just die, I guess that's how it happens with mechanical things. So I start googling things and I come across a post on an RV forum (not a member) the guy says to switch it over to LP to see if it works. Sure as ship* the pilot light lights but the burner won't fire, back to google and I find a video on youtube about cleaning the burner. After throwing my back out and busting my knuckles I get the burner out, holy cow it was plugged 100%. I clean it up with a wire brush and some carb cleaner and put it back together and it fires right up thank god.

So finally my question is are there common electrical problems to look for with these Norcold rv refers? for now I'll just use LP. But I really want to fix the 110v power option seeing we mainly stay at a park on the delta that has full hookups and I don't want to be towing with the LP on to keep the refer cold and these refers take forever to get up and rolling at start up. Sorry for such a long winded post I just wanted to cover everything that I've done up to this point. I'd really appreciate any ideas you may have for me, and sorry for all of the mistakes, I'm too tired to fix them all this morning, got too much crap on my mind and I'm stuck on the floor with my back flared up really bad.
    What a great birthday present, a TOASTED back and a broken refer to start out our vacation.

I'm going to bikini watch on the river today while drinking a few beers once I get the RV all set up for momma (if I can stand up, no joke it's that bad) I have no idea how I'm going to load the K2's with beers and ice but the river is calling my name, I gotta do it. I can't wait!!!

Thanks a bunch.
    Dan:tu

2. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I think you need a new refrigerator or possibly a camper.

callinfowl and darkvibe like this.
  3. Shirleyshusband

Shirleyshusband Elite Refuge Member

Sorry I cant help with the electric but just wanted to say don't worry about pulling it with the lp on, we do it all the time. Doesn't use much lp to keep em cold.

callinfowl likes this.
  4. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Senior Refuge Member

If your refer is working with the LP, then I would run it with the LP all the time. I would run my refer on LP while towing,camping, the whole time. It doesn't burn much LP,keeps your food cold while on the road and simplifies set up at the campground.

callinfowl and tcc like this.
  5. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

callinfowl likes this.
  6. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

My dad runs his on LP the whole time; as someone said that way it's operating while you're running down the road and such and sips fuel. I'd suggest either doing that or just replacing the fridge. Certainly no reason to replace the whole camper over a fridge if the rest of it is in good shape.

7. fowlwhacker

fowlwhacker Elite Refuge Member

I always start my fridge with gas, leave it on a day prior to road trip and leave it on gas till I get where I planned and switch it over to auto to hopefully switch over to electric. In theory if you have an auto fridge it should automatically switch from gsd to electric automagically if everything is working properly. We had to have something fixed on the travel trailer fridge but I don't recall the details now. Good luck figuring things out

Brottboss likes this.
  8. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Fridge is working on gas, might not have fired on electric due to being plugged up and low voltage, get it cold on gas, switch to auto selection and see if it switches. A few days on LP is not going to be that much and way cheaper than buying a new fridge.

callinfowl likes this.
  9. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

Well, it looks like I'm going to have another day to try to figure this thing out.
    Both ways out of town are blocked, one by fire, woke up to bombers flying laps around the house and figured we'll just drive around it..........Nope, a dump truck over turned and is blocking all lanes so traffic is going to be a complete nightmare. And I'm not sitting in bumper to bumper trafic in 108* weather.
    LOL buy a new refer or trailer, I wish, it's old but it's in great shape inside and out.
    So unless I can figure out the electrical problem out it sounds LP is the way to go.
    Thank you all very much.
    Dan

10. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Which model norcold is it ?
    Chances are it either has a blown fuse on the control board or a bad electric heating element. The heating element may be fused as well.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    callinfowl likes this.