I never seen this coming wow

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by BB-Shot, Sep 11, 2018.

1. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

Welcome to access to your hunting and fishing the state got a grant to replace all the signs.
    004.JPG

009.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

So. I don't get it. If the road goes into the water, why would you even need a sign that says road closed?

3. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

Gene, you'd be surprised at what people think their big truck can go through! Looks like a good spot to take a nap during mid day scout.

4. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Liability and Lawyers.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

So if the road is technically closed, you can't hunt the public right away based off where the road would be I assume?

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

This "issue" first became a hot topic when clark county put signs up on a lot of the roads leading to Dry Lake #2.

The back story is, SDDOT received grant funding from the federal dept of transportation, for new signage. SDDOT disperses some of that funding to the county DOT's, and a schedule was created so 1 or 2 counties each year would get county wide re-signing of roads. As part of this project, new road closed signs were installed on hundreds of flooded roads throughout the state.

If I remember correctly, you can still walk around the signs to access the right of way (unless you're in Day county where numerous right of ways have been legally abandoned and reverted back to private ownership). Some officials throughout the state have said that Car/truck travel around the signs would be illegal, but ATV would not, others say snowmobile only, etc. A quick call to the county sheriff and county warden would clear up any issues I'd think regarding driving around the signs for say ice fishing or dropping a boat in. I know a lot of this info was hashed out on the Dakota Angler forum, but since Todd took that down, I can't access the info.

7. cs

cs Elite Refuge Member

around here signs like that are so people don't kill themselves driving into the water at night. Sounds crazy but happens none the less

BirdJ likes this.
  8. thin ice

thin ice Elite Refuge Member

100_1079 (1) copy.jpg

One of my favorite signs, "NO VEHICLES BEYOND THIS POINT". Posted at the end of the this road.

Mean Gene and BB-Shot like this.
  9. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Thin, was that one there maybe prior to the water level coming up?

10. thin ice

thin ice Elite Refuge Member

Juvie, More than likely it was. I just find the sign very humorous with it's message and the options very obvious. :yes The lake was dry about 15 years ago. It seems to cycle about every 15 or so years from dry to depth of 15 ft deep.

4 BUCK and BB-Shot like this.