I prefer a resonate chamber goose call

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stephen brown, Dec 21, 2018.

1. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Haven't found a flute or short reed goose call that would make me stop using an OLT #77. I've been told that a SR is the way to go, but I have my doubts. They do sound nice in the right hands, but seem to be more demanding to blow than the simpler resonate chamber calls. For the moment I see no need to change to a SR as I'm pretty much satisfied with the OLT 77. If it isn't broken, why change. Or inherently lazy..LOL

Anyway, I was out at the Orvis Game Fair a couple of years ago and found a nifty goose call 20 dollars. Wood and sounded decent enough so I bought it. It's made by Art Beauchamp Game Calls, pronounced as Beechem, is all wood and is easy to use.

[​IMG]

2. auto5

auto5 Elite Refuge Member

Made by Rick Kagerer

3. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Yeah I’m hip on the SR calls. I’ve been messing around w/a couple of TG SuperMags and yes I can get some good sound outa them, but I like the ease & sound out of my Ron Weineke cocobola Gand’r Land’r (flute call) which I have called in geese with.

4. whaknMalrds

whaknMalrds Senior Refuge Member

It’s that his son in law or something of that sorts that took over the biz when he passed away. I own a couple made by Art himself.

5. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

Nice call by the way.

I still use resonate chamber or long reed goose calls. I carry one with a short reed and to be honest i kill more geese with my long reeds. I know the basics on a short reed and kill geese with them but my long reeds just put more geese on the ground for me. For short reeds i like Randy at Cold Fronts "Mile High" a Grounds Triple Crown, and i'm really favoring a short reed Ben Shook at Catawba River Calls made for me. But i'll always have a long reed on the lanyard. The only long reed calls i use are made by Joe Kolter. He makes a very good long reed goose call IMO He has several models and custom mills his own guts for them. They are hell are honkers where i hunt. Here are the long reeds Joe has built for me, i highly recommend them.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  6. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I believe short reeds and flutes sound so much better and produce more notes and are way goosier however blow wat gives you best results as your most confident with and youll. Kill more birds.if you dig a resonant cavity call good on ya

7. Swuebber

Swuebber New Member

I hunt with a friend who is a good caller on both short reed and flutes. Once we couldnt get the geese to respond to our calls or decoys saw him switch from his short reed to the flute. The geese in that flight sure preferred what they heard from the flute.
    Wasn’t in a pressured area otherwise I’d thought they had become wise to the tones of a short reed. Was just what they wanted to hear.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

We don't get very many travelers in our area, mostly just resident birds. Started off with an Olt 77 then a Heavy Duty resonant and now a Heavy Duty flute. Howard only made 10 of them and I have #10. I sound like crap on any of them but do kill a few geese, the stupid ones I guess.

9. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

How do you ID a long reed goose call? I'm guessing that flutes and resonate calls usually are long reeds?

Kolter CLASSIC (HC) and FIELD (HF) looks interesting. I couldn't find sound bites on the sight and that's a shame. I may be in the market for something new but don't like buying without trying or hearing.

My hunting partner uses flute calls. We like the sound mix.

10. whaknMalrds

whaknMalrds Senior Refuge Member

Not sure if I’m answering the right question for ya but Kolter has both long and short reeds. If you have a picture, long reeds look more like a duck call reed and short reeds look like a thumbnail. I have an old Cajun goose that I could make sound alright along with a couple of old Olt long reeds.