I think 4 of us are going to drive over to...

Discussion in 'Fishing Forum' started by Greybeard, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Greybeard

Greybeard Elite Refuge Member

Stone Bridge Trout Stream this coming weekend and give it a whirl. I met the 2 old folks that own it a couple years ago at Springrise down by Steelville, Mo. and they asked me what I thought of the "new" appearance of Springrise and I told them I thought it has been ruined by the new owners with all the fancy split-log cabins, lodge and such. They had completely re-arranged the feeder streams that ran through it, taken some of them out and narrowing others.
    We had talked about running back up to S.W. Wisconsin (Viroqua/Avalanche area as we had fished that years ago but the guys wanted to try some new waters.
    I've looked Stone Bridge up on the Internet and it looks lie a nice enough place
    with wider streams and the 2 older folks I met from there were certainly nice so I guess we'll give it a try.
    I'm not convinced that this being "retired" is for me yet but maybe a Fly Fishing trip or two will ease my mind.;)

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Get out of this State for awhile Dan'O and enjoy yourself ! :tu

Good luck and be careful.

3. Greybeard

....this State...PERIOD!
    Being an "Old Fart" I've seen the "good old days" pass over the hill and I seriously doubt that they will ever return.
    I hope you are doing well down there and get to continue as the Supt. since it appeared to me that you have done a good job with that Site.
    I've been to the Big Horn Mts. out in Wyoming and it spoiled me as far as beautiful areas go....full of Antelope, Elk, Bear, Moose, Buffalo and such and the Trout fishing was fabulous.
    Putting a new roof on the garage and I've discovered that I "sure ain't no boy no more." Since it is a 2-1/2 car style I had hopes to make the 1/2 car portion into "The Dry Boots Hunting and Fishing Club" and have a place to Tie Flys and carve Decoys.
    Best wishes to you and your family,
    Dan

4. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

:tu

I got invited to fish a private lake this coming Sunday. We're gonna try for 'cats.

I know you like to fly-fish. Its something I realy never got into. I havent fly-fished, except for at the local subdivision pond, since leaving Alaska in '97.
    It was a blast to catch small Arctic Greyling on my own hand-made flies (dont ask what species of bugs/flies they were...I just made em into some kind of little flying bugs made out of thread, feathers and other unknown materials :nutz:l ).

Thanks for the comment on the site.
    I just "celebrated" my 15th year with this fine state!
    Only 99 more years and I can retire at the age of 139 !

5. Greybeard

....'cause to tell the truth Illinois has actually been pretty good to me as an Outdoorsman. It's just in the last 10 to 15 years that the heart seems to have been pulled out of it and that's more because things have changed so much. More people, more traffic and so much is now so different.
    I truly hope that the current changes happening within the IDNR don't get completely out of hand and we don't lose a bunch of good, knowledgeable, dedicated men like you.
    Bill Douglass up at Rice Lake (near Peoria) had been considering retirement for several years and has now pulled the plug along with a few of his staff personnel. He is a great guy and I will really miss him even though I seldom hunt that area anymore.

My best wishes to you and your family.

Dan

6. Greybeard

.....I can now HIGHLY recomend STONEBRIDGE Trout Farm as a fantastic place to catch BIG Trout that
    know how to leap 4 feet in the air and come down fighting!
    I only caught 8 of them but they WORE ME OUT!....so I set down in the shade and enjoyed the "show."...which was the 3 guys with me (oldest Son and 2 of our good buddies). In one stretch of the stream I Counted the Trout each of them caught.....53, 58 and 61....all over 16" except one about 12" long.....and MAN!....did they fight!!!
    The folks that own the place are very nice and will tell you exactly where to go on the stream and even tell you what Flys the trout are hitting. We had to work at it but we sure came away worn out!

We ate at the Lodge Restaurant (Battered Deep Fried Trout) that was excellent and a "libation or two"
    and then drove up to Ava, Missouri to our Motel. It's pert-near 320 miles over there from Springfield, Ill. and worth every inch of the drive. God willing, I WILL go back next year.

7. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Buck,

You ought to make a drive down here. The KYDFWR is actually a fairly forward thinking bunch. They just bought some additional access points to the Cumberland River below the dam for the wade fisherman. You can stay at the State Park Lodge pretty cheap, drive 15-20 minutes to several different spots, and fish yourself crazy. The best part is that we have more than stockers, not uncommon to find a 20" or better fish ('bow or brown) and somedays are especially good. My best so far is a 7# brown.

CAM

8. Greybeard

....with my older Brother (God rest his soul) and you're right, it is a great fishery. The Southern States of Kentucky, Tennessee, Arkansas and Missouri really turn me on for Fly Fishing but I have to be kinda choosey as I can't stand in a current for very long.....even with a staff. I reckon Ol' Father Time has done caught up with me but I sure love the fight of those big Trout in a crystal-clear stream.:tu
    Smallmouth Bass run a pretty good second to the Trout but aren't even in the game when it comes to eating quality.