Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

I think it was over before it began!

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Luke Blanco, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Luke Blanco

Luke Blanco Senior Refuge Member

I don't know how everyone's duck season was this year but this has to be one of the worst if not the worst duck season I have had to date! Now i hunt everything from private clubs, fields & public hunting area's. I was just looking at my log book for the season & I have only shot 23 ducks so far this season personally & I have hunted 50 days only missing a total of 7 days so far to shotgun hunt deer. With 3 days left in the northern zone season I figured I should continue to hunt. As for our group we have only shot 157 ducks total which in the last 10 years of keeping a log book puts us for the worst season!

Now as for geese it's a different story if we keep doing what ever it is we could be in for a record season.

So how has everyone's duck season been to date?

2. likesbigspreads

likesbigspreads Elite Refuge Member

Mine started as good as it ever has, then about Thanksgiving it went to heck. Still that way now???

3. Duckjunkie194

Duckjunkie194 Elite Refuge Member

As far as numbers, this season was about average for me. Not a big deal to me because I put more emphasis of rating my season on the overall experience I had in the field. I had some barn burner duck shoots with good friends and good shoots with my kids, and great times with my dad. I got to see my son step up from a 20 gauge to a 12 gauge and kill geese. I got to watch some great dog work, some not so great dog work, and I got to hunt with a group of my family that I hadnt hunted with in 5 years or more. I like to pile them up just as much as the next guy and numbers are nice to keep track of and use to track trends in weather and bird patterns, but like I said, I rate it on the memories that I created and the pictures that were taken. A full freezer is just a bonus!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. NILGOOSER

NILGOOSER Senior Refuge Member

HORRIBLE!!! Spots that have historically been good to great for us have been crap. We have not had any good numbers of ducks around here all season. Geese have been okay so far.

5. dd2

dd2 Elite Refuge Member

ducks numbers have been slow for the most part this season for myself and with everyone i have talked to. geese have been thick though. last weekend for ducks here but i'm closing the goose season in Wi today. by the way, there's a lot of them there still.

6. jamesvc15

jamesvc15 Elite Refuge Member

Its only been a good duck season because of some of the perfect places we got access to. Now as far the normal places we hunt is has sucked except for the last 2 weeks.

Goose is terrible! Nothing but park birds and they have stayed on grass. Usually at this time we are limiting on geese in 30 minutes, but good luck finding a goose in a field. I hope this ice might move em.

We have seen no migration of geese yet, so I hope they are still up north!

7. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

I was in the N. zone on Fri afternoon and saw plenty of ducks..
    but they were well versed on what not to do.

8. BUCKSHOT#4

BUCKSHOT#4 Elite Refuge Member

It's been pretty good overall for me/us, I won't complain..... :no

9. Doubletap

Doubletap Elite Refuge Member

I love the lab, he looks like he has an attitude, which is a good thing:tu

10. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

More young ducks then I have ever seen. One of the better years I can remember since the late 90's...

I don't think we shot many more than normal, but man did those young ducks put on a show!

Regardless of where we were this year there was a massive increase in pressure, and by Thanksgiving even the young ducks had an impressive education. That's part of the game though....

I can't imagine how many ducks are still north of us...