Illinois Flyway Forum Sponsors

I think it was over before it began!

Discussion in 'Illinois Flyway Forum' started by Luke Blanco, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Berganser

Berganser Elite Refuge Member

I'd imagine Horicon this time of year is empty. Usually froze out by now. Just like here. NORMALLY
    You heard 40,000------I heard 70,000.......But that could be like ya said--Surrounding area.
    Our club kill was up this year compared to last..So not bad for us:tu
    Our lake is still huntable by boat.......Some skim ice this morning!!
    Unbelievable!!
    Hunted SnakeDen Hollow Thursday. A lot of small geese.
    Perfect weather for goose hunting. Unfortunately the birds are scattered all over the place. No big concentrations yet. Same geese for 2 months doesnt help either.

2. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member

Below, but by how much, I do not know.
    I am awaiting a reply and can post when I find out.

Someone from the Louisiana Div of Wildlife & Fisheries.

3. ixkaped2

ixkaped2 Senior Refuge Member

Your done and I aint even started yet. I guess we need look on bright side. If this sposed to be such good hatch this year and nobodys killing any.... Next year should be amazing.

4. dd2

dd2 Elite Refuge Member

5. dd2

dd2 Elite Refuge Member

my thoughts exactly.:l

6. 3inch3's

3inch3's Illinois Forum Moderator Moderator

Yep, they are all south. The only thing flying the back water on the wabash were those true ice ducks................the Northern Shoveler:bow

We saw lots of ducks today but 98% of them were bootlips.................

Were there mallards, some, but they were severely outnumbered.

If there would have been snow/ice up north with the current water conditions on the river, there should have been LOTS of mallards.

7. The Yeti

The Yeti Elite Refuge Member

Drove to N WI on the 16th. Saw lots of Sandhills, but don't remember where. I've never seen numbers of them that far north this late. The snow line was somewhere north of Wausau, but even then it was just a dusting. We saw geese as far north as Merrill, which is incredible for that time of year.

Returned on the 23rd, lots and lots of geese from Stevens Point to Portage. Of course this is just driving by on the interstate, so not a great judge, but I always figure if you can see a few that way there must be a decent number around. I hunted in Stevens Point for a few years and we never had more than a handful into December. Saw a handful of mallards here and there.

I'm not terribly hopeful to get many geese here. Of course all that can change quickly with a couple of decent snow storms. Fingers crossed...

Regarding SD and the MO river. I think the numbers out there are actually down for this time of year, at least the goose numbers were way down, I think. That is also a huge stretch of river, from the ND line all the way to the NE/IA line. Some of that stretch doesn't freeze, and those birds hang most of the winter as long as the fields stay snow free. I don't know much about the rest of the state, but imagine there are scattered concentrations. Sand Lake NWR provides weekly migration updates and they held good numbers through the end of November.
    http://www.fws.gov/sandlake/migration.htm
    (click on the first .pdf link)
    I'm sure there are other places where birds are keeping water open, given the lack of snow cover.

It does appear that the IRV mallards got DUMB in the last few days. They sure figure out quickly that they are safe... and there appears to be plenty around. (I'm not advocating a later season, just stating what I've seen - nothing can be done about the weather, especially in an anomaly year like this.)

8. jamesvc15

jamesvc15 Elite Refuge Member

I know that last year at least 1 or 2 weeks earlier I shot a band and it was from Beaver Dam, Wi. So I'm pretty sure the geese are still way up north.
    It was 40 in Duluth,MN yesterday

Canme you saw specks yesterday? I think maybe I should head towards my spot up that way.

9. Joey P

Joey P Elite Refuge Member

I hunt Central IN a LOT. I'm from Central Illinois. I see about the same thing you guys see, only in smaller numbers. Two things tell me all I need to know about the lack of big ducks.

1) Woodies in the decoys on 2 occasions the week before and week of Christmas. Unheard of.

2) Nightcrawlers covering my back yard the week before Christmas. Unheard of.

I do not care what any email, internet board, or any other crap tells me. Until I start to see even the TINYEST of golf course ponds freeze, I will believe the bulk of the large ducks are still North. The only things that push out Canadas and Mallards, are ice and snow.

I have hunted 2 "flight" days this year. Both days were nights it got down in the 15-20 degree range, and the freezing sheet water forced birds into the river.

Here's a tip......seen any Goldeneyes yet? (Normally they are thick on my river system between Christmas and New Year's.

10. Skycarp33

Skycarp33 Elite Refuge Member

must be some that moved south, Dad shot a goose this am banded in 2006 from Minnesota......... could have killed a bunch of mallards but the season is closed and we are about as south as you can get in the central zone.........

I won't comment on the season dates for the central zone, but if it lasted two weeks later I'd be happy!!!!! of course, the central zone is so small!!!!!