Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

I want to move out of Cali.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Huntndogs, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Huntndogs

Huntndogs Senior Refuge Member

I was born and raised in the fouled up state of California and I am done. Considering a move to either Idaho or Oregon. Just a general question for ya....We are looking in the Nampa / Caldwell area would like a few acres. Is there decent public land waterfowl and upland hunting in these areas? I have a boat and hunt the rivers here, so I would assume the Snake offers possibilities?

I read somewhere that a lot of private land has become hunting leases.

I know, the last thing you want is a Californian coming to your state, but I am not a typical commifornian. I will be retired in March....

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I dont know much about the west side of Idaho, Some on the east side consider it similar to California. At the end of summer we took a trip through the areas north of Sacramento, a great trip!

3. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Huntndogs, congrats on your impending retirement. This will be my first hunting season as a retired person, as I called it a career a couple of months ago. Can't help you much with Southern Idaho, as I live up North in the Panhandle. Came here from California in the 90s. All of Idaho is getting to be a more crowded place, but after frequently visiting Northern California for work and family I can still tell you Idaho is heaven in comparison to what California has become. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you choose.

4. Huntndogs

Thanks Gents, I am in San Diego (Southern Cali) and it is so crowded and the anti-hunting/gun lobby is miserable. I should have left a long time ago, but my career was more important. I want a little solitude and hope to find it soon. I have a friend with a place in Pocatello and he loves it there. We don't want to be snowed in all winter, hence looking at the southern parts of the state. Good luck on your hunting this season!

5. HaydenHunter

Well, although I lived in California for 20 years, I was born and raised in places that had four seasons. It was refreshing for me to return to that. Your experience may differ, especially if you have lived all of your life in San Diego. But don't discount the beauty of the winter season!

6. Huntndogs

Well I did live in Missouri for a few years while in the Army. It snowed there and had tornados too. Seasons sound good to me right now.

7. HaydenHunter

Think about the Coeur d'Alene area then.

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

I live just out of Pocatello. Our winters arent too bad most years,.. but last years challenging for many.
    My three daughters are all here so we likely wont leave or go far. But I tend to like places with fewer people.
    Water fowling like may areas isnt what it use to be. However it is better than a lot of places.
    I was raised in Minnesota, and have lived in Washington, Utah and here in Idaho. The duck hunting was all better in the other states than Minnesota.
    Public land is plentiful,.. but so are other public land users.
    I know if I move from Se Idaho, I will move to fewer folks

9. Huntndogs

I'll be up that way in a month or two to have a look around and hopefully do some hunting too at my buddies place.

10. oneshot maybe

oneshot maybe Elite Refuge Member

2 out of every three folks here are from CA. By the time you get here, it will be 3 out of every four. I heard South Dakota is the "new" mecca!