I won a camo Savage 12 in 22/250 don't have it yet but would like to buy the scope .

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by callinfowl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

I'm a huge nikon fan and their warranty service is the best I've ever dealt with. 250 yards and out though I'd put something on a little stronger but what you mentioned would certainly do the deal. Don't scoff at the 4.5-14 or the 6-18 nikon buckmasters. Go look through them, great clear scopes that won't hurt the pocketbook as much. I've seen Leupold diehards take the nikon plunge simply because of that line of scopes. If you are dead set on a monarch, by all means get one. I have buckmasters and monarchs. I wonder why I spent the extra money on the monarchs. However, I did just pickup a used Weaver V16 for my 22-250 with fine cross hair for paper shooting. Extremely clear scope but I've got a nikon buckmaster 4.5-14 waiting to go on it once I get the load figured out.

2. lwingwatcher

lwingwatcher Elite Refuge Member

I upgraded an AR after I got back from PD hunting.

It is now sporting a Mueller 8x24x44 Tactical mildot. Fine crosshairs and mil dots.

I have to fine tune it (but last two shots the other day were pretty much in same hole at 100) yet and I don't plan on dialing range but only using mil dots. Another neat thing about the Mueller is that the mil dots are calibrated at 10x instead of some unGodly high power so, if you use it for ranging, that could come in handy too.g

Anyway, nice clear scope and I am looking forward to trying it out on exploding targets when I go back again in August.

3. RPWIII

RPWIII Senior Refuge Member

Keeping in mind that the 22-250 can really reach out there, get as much as you can. In SC, we can shoot right up to dark so we do need something that is not limited by the falling light like and extreme power but other than that the higher power really gets you out there.

My deer rifles have the 50mm objstives but for the 22-250 I stopped at 40. The lower scope helps keep your cheek down on the stock.

I personally swear by the Leupold products and the service the one time I needed it.