Ice eater questions

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by thatguy2, Jan 1, 2018.

1. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

I’m sure the beavers will eventually find th pond. Neighbor traps so easy fix. One thing I am concerned with is the ice eater supercooling the water and stressing the HBG and HSB I plan on stocking in the spring.

2. Old Critter

Old Critter New Member

I agree with everything Displaced Duck says above. We use a 1hp 220volt ice eater that plugs into the blind's power box. The blind is about 300 yards behind the garage and the buried wire runs in between. We have a circuit breaker just for the ice eater.

There are far fewer ducks around when the deep freeze sets in. But we leave it on 24/7 once the evening temps fall into the 20's so we can at least hunt. Better than TV in the cabin.

So far, no beaver problems. But we have a trapper who can take whatever he wants, as long as he takes the beaver too. Friends have lost cords to beaver. But then they don't trap either.

DisplacedDuck likes this.
  3. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Buddies run one on a 1/2 acre pond when it gets cold enough to freeze. If the roost area starts to freeze (not the pond but another lake that is not hunted 1 mile away) the birds don't fly, they sit tight and keep the hole open.

I guess my point is if you aren't getting new birds in a truly deep freeze the birds may not fly. Your ice eater and open hole do you no good.

DisplacedDuck likes this.
  4. thatguy2

thatguy2 Elite Refuge Member

This afternoon I would estimate 500 canadas and 5k snows flew over while I was deer hunting.

5. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

We ran electric and can run two ice eaters. We only run 1 and we also run our pump. Birds actually prefer the warmer pump water and will almost always use pump ditch when deep freeze hits. We have the ice eater on a temperature switch so it doesn't run when above 32 degrees. It is not an automatic thing where we are at. Upon first hard freeze birds on refuge fly out once a day to feed and right back to refuge to keep there hole open. It often takes a week+ of a hard freeze and cold temps to have birds hitting our man engineered ice holes. I would prefer a hard freeze for few days with a good thaw everytime. Birds go back to using water and food sources on our pools vs going to dry fields and back to fuge. With all that said we have had some very good hunts over the years in our ice eater/pump holes.

Good luck