Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Dec 29, 2017.

1. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

I've only fished for Bluegill once and your hand would cover the size of the fish. Those are huge!

Didn't get to go ice fishing today... my uncle called at 6:00 am and canceled, so my daughter and I went to breakfast instead. Soon... soon...

JohnBZ likes this.
  2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I've been through the ice a few times, but each time was prepared and was able to pop myself out quickly. I have ice claws which are worn around my neck and will allow you to pull yourself out . Go the same direction out that you came in on. Roll your way out and spread weight out so ice won't break.

[​IMG]

3. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

This is how they used to get out on the ice before they were outlawed. My uncles used to ice fish a fair amount on Jackson lake with these but then the park banned snow planes. One of my uncles is in the turquoise snow plane in this video.

4. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

That looks like a whole bunch of fun.

5. musher

musher Elite Refuge Member

Living on Lake of The Woods half of my fishing is on the ice. I’ve got a lot of the bells and whistles for ice fishing but would say the key to success is mobility. Lots of good sled type portable houses but for fishing with kids the hubs work better for me. I was no electronics for ice fishing until a couple ago. Now I won’t go without my Vexlar

Roy G. likes this.
  6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

Weather turning soon so ice fishing opportunities may be limited soon in my neck of the woods. This past Saturday will provide for a few decent fish fry's!!!!

Attached Files:

Roy G. likes this.
  7. Cocklebur

Cocklebur Senior Refuge Member

Ice fishing seems like loads of fun, who can complain about sitting on the ice while putting back a few cold ones passing the time before spring.

stevena198301 likes this.
  8. sdkidaho

I was finally able to go. My daughter wasn't able to go as she had work that day...

My uncles had all the gear and so we were comfortable. Within the first 15 minutes of fishing I caught a nice Lake Trout (Mackinaw).

IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

That was the only fish we caught all day. It was fun - there were 6 of us out there and we had a good time visiting and fishing.

Attached Files:

Roy G., hobbydog and JohnBZ like this.
  9. sdkidaho

I'm terrible at filleting - I need more practice, but I had him for breakfast the next day. Good eating!

IMG_1345.jpg

10. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Nice work. I've been meaning to try jigging for Lakers. I went crappie fishing on Saturday. Managed this walleye on an ultralight with 2lb test. Its the biggest one ive caught in Illinois.
    IMG_35671.jpg
    20180217_104624.jpg