Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Dec 29, 2017.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Why don’t people drive on the ice? Surely in Northern idaho it gets cold enough.

2. Echo

Echo Senior Refuge Member

Here are some boring icefishing pictures. Some are from Illinois, some Lake of the Woods. And yes, some involve drinking, there is actually a bar out on the lake on Lake of The Woods, it's called the Igloo. I included a map of the huts for the resort, check out the mileages to the markers on the right. This is miles out, once you get on the lake.

holes.JPG hut.jpg igloo.JPG inside igloo.JPG

Attached Files:

Mean Gene and GK1 like this.
  3. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

IMG_20160122_152737643.jpg

Once the last goose leaves the state or the law makes me stop hunting,.......luv me some ice fishing. Looking at a trip to lake Erie for a chance at monster walleye in early March.

Mean Gene likes this.
  4. Echo

More of LOTW
    lake driving.JPG pressure crack.jpg lotw sunset.JPG

Mean Gene likes this.
  5. Echo

Also, in the winter is when we drop our brushpiles. Much easier to cut a hole in the ice with a chainsaw, and drop them in.

There are a few added bonuses to doing this:
    ice slab.JPG
    iced scotch.JPG

burgawboy and Mean Gene like this.
  6. Zane

Zane Senior Refuge Member

Back when I was a kid, we used to fish rainbow trout at Pactola Lake in the hills. Grandpa always used a treble hook, canned whole kernel corn and a salmon egg. Used to catch the crap out of them until Northern Pike got introduced.

I'm probably going out somewhere this weekend, it's going to be so cold the geese won't move until 20 minutes before sunset. I'm long over the sit in a field all day when it's negative temps.

Should be ice fishing the river by next weekend. Herd there was 7" of ice down in chamberlain.

Mean Gene likes this.
  7. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

I think the answer to your question will depend on whether your uncles define "all the gear" like the guys in the pics from @HaydenHunter or like @1duckmaster. When you went ice fishing when you were 12 did you go with those same uncles?

Mean Gene likes this.
  8. sdkidaho

sdkidaho Decoy, Gun Dog, Christian, Idaho, Montana/Wyoming Moderator Flyway Manager

Yes, but back then it was snowplanes and snowmachines to get on the ice, and I don't remember having anything to get in out of the weather. They're telling me they have plenty of poles, tents, fish finder, etc...

The reservoir that I think we'll be going to has trout, kokanee, smallmouth bass, yellow perch and walleye. I haven't ever seen the guys with anything but trout in their pictures though.

9. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Pretty technical now. Electric ice augers , vexilar and underwater cameras, specialized rods and cold water line, insulated pop up tents, portable heaters, makes everything comfortable. The best series showing ice fishing up our way is by this guy. I linked a few videos for you.

These videos are all shot within about 35 minutes from my house.

Mean Gene and sdkidaho like this.
  10. num70

num70 Elite Refuge Member

Just bring booze.
    (They don't call it icedrinkin' for nothing)

Squaller likes this.