Ice Fishing

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by sdkidaho, Dec 29, 2017.

1. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Can it be assumed that a master angler is also a master at baiting?

widgeon likes this.
  2. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Ice fishing is a blast. We use an Argo to get out a few miles and chase walleye around the Saginaw Bay. A shanty, vexlar, and propane heater will keep you comfortable and on fish. We don't drink too much- maybe a couple beers once and awhile. We've only been at it for a couple weeks so far this winter...but there's no end in sight for out current cold snap and it's looking like we'll have lots of opportunity this season. Can probably drive the jeep wrangler out on the ice by next weekend
    IMG_20150221_132449289.jpg 20171227_135324.jpg

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    take'm likes this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

SKI
    Drove and fished Chesterfield today. Everyone we spoke with said it was slow, 6 rods in the water and not a fish.
    Good ice.

Some fellows lost their new still had tags on rod case with 5 rods,.. I think they were from Cache valley So Ill post on KSL and Craig's list

4. take'm

take'm Elite Refuge Member

My mother lives in bay city, I'm planning on visiting her in January and checking out Saginaw for a day or two!

5. warrenwaterfowler

warrenwaterfowler Senior Refuge Member

Cool. Shoot me a pm when you do and I'll share any reports/ tips i can. We may be over by Caseville by then sight fishing big lakers in 5ft of clear water. It's a fishing trip we've had on our bucket list for some time now- see the 1st segment of this video to see what it's all about.

take'm likes this.
  6. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

First, you must master baiting.

7. Bigtymer

Bigtymer Senior Refuge Member

8. pentail

pentail Administrator Moderator Flyway Manager

It even got cold enough to ice fish a day or two here in KY. Sort of a rare thing. I was a bit nervous the first time out, but the ice turned out to be nearly 7" thick. Kids and I managed enough for a mess of fried bluegill. icef1.jpg icef2.jpg icef3.jpg icef5.jpg icef6.jpg

goosenazi and Ducker 4 Ever like this.
  9. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

We got it finally cold enough long enough to take snowmobiles out for like 3 days. Then it climbed to damn near 50 degrees and rained for 3 days.

Now it went from 45 this am to 9 now with a bad ice storm. I’ll be lucky if I can ice fish 2 weekends in a row this year at this rate.

10. Fsbirdhouse

Fsbirdhouse Senior Refuge Member

John BZ,
    Watching the video about giant Perch in W Idaho is the only thing that makes me jealous concerning W Idaho. But I am all of that about the Perch! I know of no such Perch hole in E Idaho!
    But I am reminded we each have our blessings.
    This morning, while taking the dogs out about 8:00 AM, thousands of geese were passing low over the house.
    I am continually serenaded by the geese all year, as I live very close to the Snake river, and many nest there.