Ice?

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by Mean Gene, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

How's the ice build up coming? Doesn't look like it's been cold enough to really get things going, but that seems to be changing? Anybody catching fish through the ice yet? We're Jonesing to get back out there but it's not in the cards until March.

2. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

Its good with anywhere from an inch to 8 inches and building. The problem is where birds have kept a hole open so if and when it freezes it can be a hazard. The fishing is fair to good depending on where and what your fishing for.

3. Mean Gene

Looking forward to trying it out next year. I have ice fished exactly once and that was for trout. I have seen a grand total of one walleye ever.

4. Mean Gene

Read yesterday about a couple trucks going through the ice on Lake Poinsette (I probably spelled that wrong). Something about going through in the heaves.

5. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

Haven't heard of any problems in the NE corner, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear of some falling through!! There are always people getting antsy about the 1st of November to start ice fishing. Been an odd year this year with the late warm weather and then this arctic spell for the last couple of weeks. I haven't been near the hill lakes but after the pheasant season is over this week, I will be heading up west off and on. I am not a very courageous person when it comes to driving on the ice and if I can find shoreline access near where I want to fish, I usually pull my portable off the shore and onto the ice for the day!! Heaves are normally a problem and the weakest areas for driving, but they will likely be a problem most of the winter the way the ice developed so fast when it finally did start to freeze! LL

Mean Gene likes this.
  6. brentbullets

brentbullets Elite Refuge Member

Ice is for Crown Royal. It will float to the top and I will sink to the bottom.:l

7. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

I wont drive the truck out but will ride the atv as long as there's a foot of ice.

Mean Gene likes this.
  8. Larsen's Labs

Larsen's Labs Elite Refuge Member

The ice is pretty think now - probably close to if not over 2 ft thick. The fishing has been pretty spotty for me and from what I have heard, it is about the same for most people. Friend of mine and I hit a hill lake one day - neither of us had been on it before - and managed to stop and drill over a school of perch on the first try. We didn't limit out but caught 20 nice perch before we had to leave for a high school wrestling match. Three days later we went back to the same lake, fished several different spots and caught one perch! LL

9. Mean Gene

Been watching folks on a Facebook SD ice fishing page and have seen some really nice fish being pulled through the ice. Saw a couple huge northerns and one largemouth that was about 5 lbs. Me, I'm just hacking on wood and waiting for April so I can get back out to Montana for some early trout.