I'd rather be lucky than good

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by Squaller, Mar 27, 2016.

1. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Yesterday, I did everything right, and due to a very unlucky set of circumstances, was unsuccessful. (Let’s just say vehicle disturbance).

This morning, I set up on the only bird I heard on the property (including several scouting trips)… Went to park my truck, and had two birds gobble a couple hundred yards away… Moved the truck, picked up my gear, and set up again. The birds flew down with a hen (or hens) that went the opposite direction.

Did a bit of clucking and some yelps for a bit to no avail… Took out a second box call, and immediately had a hen respond. Each time she yelped or clucked, I emulated her, and this apparently upset her. She came in purring and cutting when she saw my decoy…

I had set up for the birds I had heard in the morning, so as usual this hen came in from behind me, and I could hear the drumming, but could not see the tom (even as the hen was giving my decoy a beating).

I set up the decoys to my far left (fortunately), and I finally saw the tom, working his way to me… I guess he saw the jake decoy, cause he came at it in a dead run. He actually came in a bit closer than I would have hoped for, and I was not in a hurry to shoot… Right then, someone on the next ranch over shot and spooked both birds… His head came up, and being worried about destroying the bird, I held a bit high... I did not have to finish him off.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Another perhaps more appealing picture for posterity:

[​IMG]

1 ¼” spurs:

[​IMG]

Lonely hen let me sneak my camera out.

[​IMG][/URL
    ]

Bird had 1 ¼” spurs and a beard just over 11”. Not the typical coloration for the Rio’s I normally see in my area, looking more like an eastern.

Quarne, pointblind, auto5 and 3 others like this.
  2. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

Saw this over on old gobbler Marc, congrats.

Measure on the outside of the curve on that hook and you'll pick up a bit of length.

Very nice shot, easy to miss when they are that close and you are going for the head shot.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  3. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

Congrats Squaller! Nice bird and write up . Love the skull shot. We Didn't get out on the open, but hunting both days next weekend. Hoping to get my wife her 1st bird .

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Thanx,

I saw your reply on the gobbler forums... They probably figure you are using some derisive comment towards me... Figured I would let them wonder...:nutz
    Huge change in activity level today... Been out scouting several times, and never saw nor heard a bird, and only heard one gobble yesterday... Today there were a number of birds gobbling...

Hopefully they are nice and horny when you take your wife...

5. marsh-mello

marsh-mello Elite Refuge Member

WOW! Congrats... well used hooks on that bird and a beard both as long as I've ever seen on one. Glad to see you putting one down. Good shot, it can be tough shooting them too close sometimes, easy to miss.

You were successful because you made the right decisions.:tu:tu Keep after the one that got away you'll catch up to him soon enough.

6. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Nice. I'm with Spaight. Looks like measuring around the curve will give an extra 16th of an inch.

7. BangingBirds

BangingBirds Senior Refuge Member

We have scouted the area multiple times she has been drawn for and the birds seem pretty predictable. Let's hope it stays that way:yes

8. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

A big thumbs up and an atta boy fer' ya' :tu:tu

You sure are right on the coloration, but then again, it may be "old age" of the bird settin' in??!!:l

Those those head shots, are why I carry a zip-lock bag along, & saves my washin' a shine into my coveralls :nutz

9. iawaterfowler

iawaterfowler Elite Refuge Member

That ain't luck, that's skill. You called in the girls and the boy followed. I have had a lot of success on the Easterns here doing that. If the toms are really henned up I will call really aggressively and try to work up that boss hen. If you succeed the tom will usually be right behind her. Congrats. It isn't easy, but it's exciting when it works out.

10. schmidtty

schmidtty Senior Refuge Member

Nice hunt! First pic says it all, good stuff!