Id ?

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by huntaholic21, Sep 16, 2016.

1. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Yep. Wait long enough (close enough to season I mean) and you aren't wasting it. The seeds are there, you will just show more water.

Sometimes if the veg is too thick the decoys don't move right with the wind.

2. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

We mow upwards of 150 acres of moist soil each year AFTER it had matured. Most dense stands of broadleaf's need it to create good openings for good waterfowl use. Sometimes due alternating strips and sometimes solid blocks. Solid blocks seem to be better if focusing on especially pintail but also teal, gadwall, wigeon and shovelers. If mallards/black ducks are your main focus then strips seem to be better. If you have disturbance issues from vehicle traffic of a lot of eagles strips are better. In grasses I also mow some strips but they tend to be wider spaced or again blocks if pintail are the focus.

3. huntaholic21

huntaholic21 Senior Refuge Member

Wow, ton of good info here. Thanks guys!

4. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

On this note, how much vegetation do you mow relative to the amount left standing?

I have read some literature that states maximum waterfowl usage (total ducks, regardless of species) of the experimental sites occurred when it was a 50/50 mix. I'm unsure to the currently validity of this research, however, as it is quite dated.

5. Clayton

It is more of a need than a specific acreage target. Just roughly comes out around that much most years. On average over 1,000 acres are not mowed. It would make no sense to mow stands of sedges or other vegetation that is not tall to meet a 50/50 target.

6. DisplacedDuck

DisplacedDuck Senior Refuge Member

I apologize in advance for the rookie question, but would exactly is the need if not open water? Or is that the only need really?

7. Clayton

It comes down to your individual location and how you want or need to hunt it. If you only have a small spot in which you are mostly hunting traffic birds then yes I would want it more open. Especially your shooting hole. If you don't hunt but 2-3 times a week and want birds to feed and loaf through the week such that you are creating the X then you want cover thus not mowing as much. Personally I even want willow thickets. Birds are spooky on wide open mowed ground. If no cover you have a feeding spot only. Wit unmowed cover you provide feeding and day/night resting. Quite possibly having day feeders that stay to loaf after eating AND birds from other areas coming to loaf after feeding. Big advantage when it comes to hunting if you manage your hunting pressure right.

8. Albino Woodie

Albino Woodie Senior Refuge Member

I always try to leave plenty of cover for the exact reason Clayton stated. I even have a flooded timber area with about 5-6 areas birds use. I always leave several areas just for resting and loafing. Managing hunting pressure is crucial.

9. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

I had never heard that the term but I have a small spot and are hunting "traffic birds". I have figured out that the more water we show the better, just as Clayton stated.