Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Idaho Falls area

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by molliesmaster, Feb 4, 2014.

1. molliesmaster

molliesmaster Senior Refuge Member

Need some info, fianc? and I are moving out there very soon so we are looking at housing. Any bad places we need to avoid in the falls area? We are traveling with two dogs (a lab and GSP) so finding housing has been interesting. If anyone has any leads that would be great.

Thanks for any info and I look forward to getting out there.

Wes

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I don't live in IF but used to go there often on business. I would be surprised if there was a "wrong side of the tracks".

On another subject, the rule used to be that you could get an in-state hunting / fishing license when you hit six months residency. If that hasn't changed you will be good to go for fall waterfowl season and perhaps upland season if you get here soon. :tu

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Mighty couragous for a southern boy:eek:
    It will be -9 tonight and below zero every night for the next 5 days.
    Idaho Falls is a very clean city, and has grown a lot over the past 20 years.
    I cant tell you much about good or less than housing areas, but I dont think there is much for "bad" areas
    Welcome to Idaho

4. molliesmaster

Thanks fellas. Just wanted to see if we needed to look out for any crack houses or meth labs, my black lab is hyper enough without the meth. Haha

I am ecstatic about the colder weather, I despise the southern heat and humidity. Plus going from an almost non-existent waterfowl/upland game state to something like Idaho, I'm pretty sure I'll be in heaven.

We are supposed to arrive the last week of February, maybe the -9 temps will be gone by then.

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I did 12 years in the south (Memphis) and although there is some charm and attraction to the south I will never live in that heat and humidity again.

I love me some cold weather, but IF is generally even colder and more windy than the Idaho Panhandle. You may like it for the hunting, but how is the future wifey going to handle it? Million $$$ question. :l

I was, for a time, hell bent on moving to Driggs or Victor, located between IF and the back side of the Teton front, but my better half wasn't having any of that.

6. molliesmaster

If she can put up with me and my crazy antics I am sure she will have no problems with the weather. Besides the cold is always a good excuse to let me warm her up. hahaha

7. molliesmaster

Update: We finally found a house! Everything is falling into place quite nicely. The dogs and I plan to drive out Monday the 24th and should arrive sometime Wednesday. I just hope these winter storms will go on by so the roads will be cleared up for my journey.

So how's the predator hunting this time of year? I am dying to call in some coyotes and actually be able to watch them work in. Here it's like they pop out 30 yards away and then BANG! And your hunt is over.

8. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Head for calving area or lava rocks,.. lots of public lands

9. molliesmaster

Thanks.

10. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

Not going to sugar coat it. IF SUCKS in the winter. Spend 37 winters there and hated them all (well mostly). BUT the rest of the year is so awesome that it is worth it.

Welcome to Idaho!