Idaho to ban flooded crops?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Allan, Aug 10, 2018.

1. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I have. Again there’s many factors that go into it. What’s the surrounding area like, is the corn fed out? Are the birds stale?

Clayton and OneShotBandit like this.
  2. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Many times, and after a few hunts it generally becomes more of a roost than a feeding spot. The few "corn clubs" that hold huge numbers for extended periods do so through intense management if pressure. Flooded corn is absolutely not some magic attractant. Now, placing bait, that's about as close to magic as it gets. And it does absolutely nothing for the birds past providing their last supper.

3. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

Yeah and 75 degree weather with no wind,and small duck numbers.Its 107 days and I bet 40 of those days are actually decent days to.hunt.

4. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Had some great shoots at Fish point and Shiawasee in flooded corn.

Ban the practice!! I’d definitely pick up more mallards. I’m about tired of shooting 4 wigeon, 2 sprig and a mallard on each of my hunts for 107 days.
    I want 4 mallards, 2 sprig and a spoonie.
    Get them birds migrating like nature intended. Ban those ice eaters as well!

5. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Spot on Oneshot! We are hoping for more like 125:grvn

Swampy, Brottboss and blacktail like this.
  6. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I hunt both places, Shiawassee almost exclusively now days. It’s funny, Hunters think the corn zones are where you need to be at all times. They forget that the birds will eat that corn right out though. Mid November to the end the moist soil zones were the hot ticket and the flooded corn was dead last year.

Flooded corn can be good....especially if it’s the only one around but in general it’s not all that it’s cracked up to be.

Weather has more Impact on migrating birds than anything else. We are getting warmer and the birds are either coming down later or hanging north more. It takes some serious cold to drive them down and that serious cold either doesn’t stay around long enough anymore or keeps coming later in the year.

ED Vanderbeck likes this.
  7. Wanderer

Wanderer Senior Refuge Member

The management of Flooded Crops in my opinion is one of the primary reasons we have continued to have liberal seasons for over 20 years straight now.

The waterfowl hunter is now providing more resources for waterfowl than anytime in history.

Take it away and get ready to hunt less.

Wanderer

8. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

The biggest change is in ag practices. I have been hunting waterfowl for almost 50 years and migration pattern change really started to change when farmers went to more and more no till farming and row crops being grown farther north. The practice of taking a plow and turning all the residue down along with any seeds meant birds needed to move to find food. My home area was almost always black for miles with either ground disked or plowed and the only corn grown was used as cattle feed in the form of silage.

Now corn is grown into Canada as well as soybeans, and the only time I see plows used anymore are when CRP is turned back to cropland. We normally would start to see snow geese around the first part of Oct as small grains north where cut and fields plowed. They would work through the state moving south to the corn line in South Dakota.

Water also has returned keeping birds longer as the freeze up date is more likely into Nov or early Dec vs late Oct and early Nov of times past. That also happens to be when we went from a short cooling period.

9. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Y'all got it made...hunt the AF with no food what so ever, hardly any ducks and those that do come down are scared to death of blinds decoys,calls and anything near shore. plus You have weekend warriors chasing anything and every thing that flies. You might get one or two chances at birds a hunt if you are lucky. Y'all would come over this way,hunt a few hours and get back on a plane and high tale it back home! Be thankful for what you all ready have!

10. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Yes it does! We need about 45 more days with the season starting sept 1. :yes

blacktail likes this.