Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

Idaho Waterfowl Permit?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by bbpheasant, Sep 26, 2000.

1. bbpheasant

bbpheasant Senior Refuge Member

Hi all, just checked out the 2000-2001 season regs posted at http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/regules.htm
    Looks as if they have eliminated the need for the Idaho Waterfowl Permit. Can anyone else find it? All I see required is hunting license, Fed Stamp, and Migratory Bird Validation. They also seem to have eliminated the Upland Game Stamp this year. Any thoughts as to why they're not requiring these $$ when the department is supposedly in trouble? Not complaining, mind you!

------------------
    Duckbuster
    "Let the steel fly"

2. IDBrian

IDBrian Senior Refuge Member

That was part of the new fee structure that went into effect this year. They increased the cost of the hunting license but did away with the duck and upland stamps (validations). So the actual cost of the license & permits really didn't go up much if any at all. I don't understand it either. I thought the reason for the fee increase was to increase revenue. I guess they are making up for it in increased big game tag fees.

3. Peregrine

Peregrine Elite Refuge Member

What IDBrian said is right. People like me hardly felt this price increase because bird hunting is now actually CHEAPER than it was, but the increase in big game tags is significant. The people that are really going to be paying more are the ones that just go deer hunting. Their cost went up something like $12 or so.

You do still need the "Migratory Game Bird Harvest Information" validation though. It's only $1.50

Peregrine

------------------
    'There are two spiritual dangers in not owning a farm. One is the danger of supposing that breakfast comes from a grocery, and the other that heat comes from a furnace.' - Aldo Leopold

[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 09-26-2000).]

4. bbpheasant

bbpheasant Senior Refuge Member

Another question I had is why are they closing ducks for 2 days(Oct 19-20) and geese 9 days(Oct 19-27th)? I did notice both end in January on the same date. I remember reading somewhere about how the Feds establish the maximum season days per flyway. Is that it? Just wonderin'. Won't matter much here anyway. By October 19th, most waterfowl will either be in a freezer or hiding until the cold brings in the northeren birds around November.

------------------
    Duckbuster
    "Let the steel fly"

5. IDBrian

IDBrian Senior Refuge Member

You are right, the split season is because the are only allowed a certain number of days for duck and a certain number of days for goose. It is supposed to work out so that it opens on a Saturday and Closes on a Sunday but since Idaho used two of their days for a youth hunt they had to close the duck season for two days (during the week) so that it would still end on a Sunday.