Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Ideal Boat for Louisiana Marsh Duck Hunting and Red Fishing

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by MarshCat, Dec 6, 2018.

1. MarshCat

MarshCat New Member

This is for duck hunting and red fishing in the Louisiana marsh. What is your ideal boat design and dimensions for using up to a max of a 25hp longtail motor? Also, brand of longtail you would use?

2. Ring King

Ring King Elite Refuge Member

I wouldn’t say a long tail is ideal for fishing regardless of area but I think I understand what you’re looking for.

If you were only hunting with the long tail I would say look at something like an 1838. But, since you want to fish out of it as well a little width would make it more stable so I’d vote for an 1844.

http://www.godevil.com/listings/18-x-44-duck-hunting-boat/

Godevil was the original mud motor and is what I would opt for in a long tail. Personally I’d want a big block like the 35hp, 37hp, or 40hp. When I was running mud motors there was never a time where I felt that a little more hp wouldn’t be appreciated. None of them are overly fast so the bigger the better in my opinion. If you’re trying to stay at the 25hp level for WMA use then that is completely understood. I’d go with this one:

http://www.godevil.com/listings/25-hp-kohler/

The absolute best advice I can give you on mud motors is that they will by far perform the best on a true mud hull. Even if that hull is heavier than say a War Eagle of the same size the performance is by far better when the mud motor is paired with a true mud hull. I see lots of mud motors on Xpress, War Eagle, Havoc, etc and I just shake my head when I think of what those rigs loose in speed and rough terrain performance when compared to a slick bottom, longitudinally braced, airboat style raked mud hull.

Good luck with your research and purchase!

3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Don't know if Go-Devil still makes a "crawfish tail" that is 18" shorter than their standard long tail, but I run one that handles much better than our camp's standard tails. We've had a couple Kohler 25 and a couple Briggs' 23s, and I'd not want to bet the later haven't held up better for us - or that those engines that have crapped out were well maintained and not sorely abused... Can't speak to the Honda 22hp option, but will opine that if you go below the 20+hp range with an 18' boat Go-Devil boat, you'll regret it.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  4. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

If I were to buy a new (used) boat, I'd look for the widest they recommend for Mud Motors. I would think access with the mud motor outweighs boat width.