Ideas to help with the "Here" command.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by divebomber, Sep 5, 2017.

1. divebomber

divebomber New Member

My male black lab is about 7.5 months now and ive been working with him as much as i can and we have heel, here and sit down pretty good while on a long line. Once off the leash he is still good with sit buy struggles with heel and here, when throwing bumpers he most always come right back with the here command but when he is just off doing his own thing it's a struggle to get him to come when called, any ideas on how to help with these issues.

2. Hogleg

Hogleg Senior Refuge Member

Repetition, treats, leave him on the check cord so he has to come when called. Are you going to CC him? That will cure it. Mine still likes to hesitate when she's called while in the yard. I've tried to coach the family not to call here over and over. Call once, if they don't respond, go make them respond, they'll realize you are serious. I don't mean be rough on them, but firm and consistent.

I'm a total newby at this, so you get what you pay for, but that is what i've done and it has worked.

3. divebomber

divebomber New Member

Yeah i plan to cc. I tried already to cc after we had here sit and heel down pretty goos just with a long line but it kinda freaked him out more than anything so i stopped

4. Dorkweed

Dorkweed Elite Refuge Member

What training program are following; if any??

Doc E likes this.
  5. Doc E

Doc E Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

In the "Smartwork" puppy DVD, Evan shows how to 'ecollar to here', often when the pup is only 4 months old.
    Three steps :
    1. Teach (treat training)
    2. Enforce (check cord)
    3. Reinforce (ecollar)

Hogleg, bullpinnie and J.SCOTT like this.
  6. J.SCOTT

J.SCOTT Senior Refuge Member

Get an e-collar that has vibration and tone. You don't have to shock every time. It's a reminder to the pup of who is in charge, even when he is out of arms and check cord range.

7. divebomber

divebomber New Member

Ive been using duck dog basics dvd set

8. freezeland

freezeland New Member

Buy Lardy's CC video for 60.00 if you dont know how to properly collar condition a dog. Best sixty bucks you'll spend. Its available on YBS media.

9. Holman_04

Holman_04 Senior Refuge Member

7.5 months is a good time to start holding the dog to a higher level of obedience. As others have mentioned, a good collar conditioning to Here, Sit and Heel will definitely solve your issue. I've used Smartwork but there are many others. Remember, it's your job to teach him the proper response to collar pressure so he doesn't freak out. As Doc E noted:
    1. Teach (treat training)
    2. Enforce (check cord)
    3. Reinforce (ecollar)

10. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Formal obedience starts at about 6 months. I use Smartworks and the collar conditioning starts with CC to the here command. We were dialed in after about 3 sessions. I did continue to reinforce that command as needed and have had a solid recall. I loaned my tapes to a friend, the only person so far that has been willing to do the work required to train a dog, and he has had the same experience. His dog is solid on obedience. Every time he calls me to give me an update on their progress it seems like he is describing the sessions Bailey and I had. Look into Smartworks.