Ideas to help with the "Here" command.

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by divebomber, Sep 5, 2017.

1. KwickLabs

KwickLabs Elite Refuge Member

When teaching "here" it is important to balance the action with justifications....that's plural. Yes,
    it is a command that should eventually become an automatic, conditioned response. However,
    when teaching it is often more effective if the pup is given more than simply the "because I said
    so perception". When good things happen after a desired response the final result is a willing,
    confident and responsive retriever.

Years ago on The Refuge a member was quite exasperated with his pup "flipping him off" on the here
    command (kind of his words). So he ordered an e-collar. WE were notified when it arrived in the
    mail. A day later his exact words were "After putting the collar on him this morning he was
    coming to me like a bat out of hell". :z :doh:h

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. darealdeal

darealdeal New Member

No expert here but are you using the words heel and here? May be me but the dog maybe getting confused between the similarity in the words heel and here sounds pretty close......

3. EvanG

EvanG Elite Refuge Member

All Smartwork materials are available through Gundog Supply.

EvanG

4. mrmallerd

mrmallerd Elite Refuge Member

By far, the best advise I have received on this forum. You will not regret investing a little in Evans dvds.

Doc E likes this.
  5. Sundown49

Sundown49 Elite Refuge Member

Evan is the man for teaching "HERE"...been using his method for 8 or 9 years.....IT WORKS.

Doc E likes this.