Idaho Flyway Forum Sponsors

IDFG wants waterfowl hunter opinions on future seasons

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by DownThePipe, Mar 8, 2016.

1. DownThePipe

DownThePipe Elite Refuge Member

IDFG wants waterfowl hunter opinions on future seasons

Here is a link to the survey - they are allowing comments until March 18
    https://idfg.idaho.gov/form/2016-waterfowl-season-structure-survey-0

I filled out the survey, and provided this comment:

I appreciate the chance to comment. I hunt waterfowl around 20 times a year and the season structure is an important aspect of having successful hunts. I hunt the Snake River from Ontario to Glenn's Ferry and that said, the latest possible season dates are the best in my mind based on my experience. A late season allows the hunting of fully plumaged birds which is much more important to me than hunting relatively hot days in early October when the local birds are drab and when they can become scarce after the youth day/opening day barrage. I have been vocally supportive of the idea of having a 2 day split which would allow the season to end on a Sunday. Montana and Washington do it right! To me, having a split on a Monday/Tuesday after the 1st or 2nd weekend of the season, in order to allow for the season to end on a Sunday (which also gives the birds a rest), will allow an additional weekend opportunity at the end of the season (for those that work the weekdays -most adults - this is nice). Ending the season on a Sunday allows people the chance to send the season off right - with a 'last hoorah' weekend.
    I would be remiss if I didn't say that I believe you have set up the last survey questions (13A-13C) to degrade the idea of closing on a Sunday. The reason I say this is because the 3 options are presented as mutually exclusive i.e. I believe 13C will be listed as least important because people are more opinionated and care more about the early or late season. Importantly, you can have an early or late season and still have a 2-day split. So, I hope that IDFG doesn't, for the next 5 years (like was the case with the last survey results), come out and say that the "hunters indicated hunting the last Sunday of the season was the LEAST IMPORTANT thing to them", when this is potentially not the case and has to do with the way the survey question is presented.
    No matter how the season is setup, of course, will be fine. The chance for 107 days in the field is great no matter what.

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Thanks for the link :

3. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

For those in SE Idaho PLEASE read what I have suggested and consider making a similar comment. There is no reason we can't all be pretty satisfied with a simple Zone restructuring. Put the northern part of SE Idaho in Zone 1 and give it an early opener. Give Zone 2 whatever opener the majority wants which bases upon the comments on this forum it seems most guys want the late opener and run to the end of January. Here is the comment I added in my input:

PLEASE restructure the zones. SE Idaho has a real issue in that the goose hunters prefer a late season but most duck hunters prefer an early season. There is an easy fix to this and give hunters the most hunting opportunity.
    Option 1: Define Zone 1 to include ONLY the lands of the Fort Hall Indian Reservation plus Bonneville County and north to the ID and MT line.
    Option 2: Expand Zone 1 to include the current area plus Bonneville County and north to the ID and MT line.

Open Zone 1 on the first Saturday in October. Run it straight through or do a two day closure to allow it to end on a Sunday.
    Open Zone 2 however the majority of the input suggests which I am fairly certain is going to be a late opener and close at late as possible.

This approach will enable hunters to best utilize the WMAs in SE idaho (Mud Lake, Market Lake, Cartier Slough) and the upper Snake River before it all being frozen and covered in snow. But it also enables the guys in the more southern part of SE Idaho to have the later season for those areas that may hold birds till later in January.

4. Duck-Slayer

Duck-Slayer Elite Refuge Member

Not that I hunted a whole lot last year, but I did fill out the survey, hopefully they will make it as late as possible, I personally would like too see a week long split too encourage the birds too use public place's more during the first part of the season when there are not too many local's left and before the migrators start too show up, say last week in Oct. or last week in Nov., seems like the first part of Nov. we get a small push every year and I like too be out smacking them at that time.
    Matt