If it were to happen

Discussion in 'Alaska Flyway Forum' started by DUCKMENVT, Jun 2, 2003.

1. DUCKMENVT

DUCKMENVT Elite Refuge Member

Hey if I were to move to Alaska what area would you recomend? I am currently in Law enforcement but... Duck and Goose hunting would be the most important followed by chasing every other species of wildlife. Any suggestions? I have visited and done some fishing on Homer spit and Halibut on Cook inlet but didnt really get a feel of the duck hunting?

2. bigreid

bigreid Moderator Moderator

There are some great areas of the state but the season is pretty short in most areas. I live in the Anchorage area and shoot ducks from the opener on Sept. 1 all the way to the last day Dec. 16. We have a great early season for puddlers then when it freezes I head to the salt or river for divers and mallards that stick around. We have to have the longest season in the country. Get on as a corrections officer up here, it is a week on week off schedule, leaves a ton of time for hunting. The deal is work 7 12hr shifts and get seven off. Not a bad deal for duck hunters!

3. DUCKMENVT

DUCKMENVT Elite Refuge Member

Is that a jail type job or do they have field supervision officers? Are they sworn officers or not? Is the pay any good? I take it you or someone you know is in that proffesion. The duck season sounds pretty good. How many PD's are there in the Anchorage area?

4. wt1

wt1 Senior Refuge Member

Duck, I just left there in November, don't know how close you are to retirement, but there are plenty for jobs in the security field. I am military, however we supported all the PDs in the state (EOD). Just depends on what you want to do, finding a job is not a problem. You could work as security on the oil fields two week on two weeks off. If I was young in my career LOL, I would do the AK state trooper thing. What they call blue shirts do the traffic and brown shirts do the fish and wildlife.

5. bigreid

there are many unstaffed positions in the PD right now. We have a new mayor in July who says he is going to staff them. I have a buddy who just got on as a prison guard and is working the one on one off schedule. I am not sure the pay, I think he said he is taking home about 2500 a month, not a ton but it is his first job and he is young and single. Althought there are great state benefits and it is only 20 yrs for full retirement!

6. wt1

wt1 Senior Refuge Member

Big, is there an age cut off for corrections? Did Ray Jenning retie yet?

7. bigreid

I am not sure about the age cutoff. Do a search for the state of alaska and you should easily be able to click you way around and find out. You will also be able to find what jobs are currently available. It may also have the qualifications for positions. good luck!

8. dallen

dallen Senior Refuge Member

Hey bigreid, seen you pic on the other thread. We pass each other all the time out in the marsh. I recognize the boat. I'm the guy with the low profile grey boat that is normally covered with bullrush. Marsh looks good and high which should make for a lot of new ducks this fall. Hope the weather cooperates.

9. wt1

wt1 Senior Refuge Member

What about the boat pull out at the duck shacks, the tide wash it out in Oct. Going to make it hard to get in there by rabbit slough.

10. bigreid

dallen,
    It was a great year out there last year wasn't it?1 That high water really helped out and the warm weather allowed us to hunt into November. I can't believe how high the tides got and washed the that guys tents out in the middle of the marsh. I cant wait to get back out! I think I am going to put some fastgrass or something on my boat. It will make it a pain the *** compared to my current system but I think it would look good out there. What do you think? I've seen your boat and it looks great.