If only the stores stocked them by the barrels

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by stephen brown, Nov 14, 2017.

1. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

Finding a call that suits your needs isn't easy when you're starting out. I have a number of plastic molded calls from various makers (RNT, Echo, CCC, Gardener) and decided to start purchasing the more expensive calls. Some will be used, some just because. I've started my quest with RNT last year and their catalog is impressive. Twenty plus duck calls offerings in various materials. It's damn confusing picking out what's worth having. That was a bit harsh, but some will appeal more than others because they sound or operate better. Problem is finding what works. Reading the descriptions and listening to sound bites kinda helps but having one in hand is best.

If only the stores stocked them by the barrels. Not many places to try blowing a call. So I'm left with purchasing online. Stores don't like returns and who can blame them. So if a call is off, it's sent to manufacturer. If I don't like the sound/operation it's relegated to a call box.

So this is my thoughts on the RNT calls of recent purchase:
    (*) pre 40th Original (bocote) - do it all - highs and lows
    (*) 40th Original (acrylic and cocobolo)- still do it all but not as loud. Will lock up if blown too hard
    (*) Old Style (cocobolo) - timber call - a bit finicky at times and drops out
    (*) Short Barrel (cocobolo) - Not impressed by this one. No back pressure? and doesn't operate well for me.
    (*) Daisy Cutter (kingwood) - do it all - I like this call. I like the way it sounds. Wife thinks its the duckiest sounding call I have.
    (*) MVP (acrylic) - What a great call. Large or medium waters, windy conditions, this is the one.

My favorites : Daisy Cutter, Original, MVP.

2. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Oddly enough I will never buy a call from online or in a catalog. All my calls have always been put through it's paces before I have bought them. This saves money in the long run IMO.

3. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

I worked at Cabelas back in my college days for about a month, I got hired to hunting, so naturally I stuck around waterfowl. I used to sit next to our high end call cabinet and run/and tune (generally goose, I didn't cut many duck reeds for obvious reasons) calls, I near sold us out immediately and the manager actually asked me to create a list of what I wanted for new calls. All that and I only worked there for about a month before I got fired for skipping work to go out on duck opener.

Someone would walk up having heard some idiot running calls, I'd tune a call for them right there, many were amazed, but if you've always had to fit your calling to the call because you can't tune, then someone tuning a call for you is obviously going to be quite an AHA moment.

Sold someone who had never blown a short reed, nor never paid more than about $20 for a call, a $200 triple crown simply because I sat and worked with him, takes two seconds to tune the call to the person, then just work with them on the basics... BOB's your uncle, $200 out the door. Better yet, the guy sounded goosey on it vs. what may have been a tough to listen to guy on whatever he used to blow = more love of calling = better caller

But, unless you have someone who can do that, you risk people essentially ruining calls, and also stealing the $50 set of broke in guts. You have health risks, sure. You also have the dilemma of duck calls, you won't like an RNT Mondo tuned FOR big Jim, but you may very well LOVE an RNT Mondo tuned for you but that takes time and reeds, which adds costs.

So you could still go and try all these calls, but without them being tuned to you, it still becomes a gamble. More advanced callers, less so, it can be a bit easier for them to adjust what they do and get a feel for any call on the spot.

4. Sandy River

Sandy River New Member

calling4life's last statement seems to say it all. Its the caller not the call.

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I thought he was saying that if you know how to tune a call for personal fit or have someone do it for you, you'll find there are a lot more "good" calls than someone who doesn't. All God's waterfowlers should learn how to tune their own calls.

6. Duck-Hunter

Duck-Hunter Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the post I've been kicking around the idea of getting new calls next season. I have stuck with my zink ph1 & ph2 for the past 10 years. It's time for change and to dabble a little bit.

I used to use a MVP on stage. Loved that call.

I was looking at getting a daisy cutter and a mondo. Also looking at molt gear, picked up one of their goose calls and absolutely love it.

It's amazed me how many people don't know how to tune calls let alone terrified to pull it apart. I've retuned my calls within seconds during a hunt. Didn't like the sound I was getting.

7. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Ducks still love 'em.

8. stephen brown

stephen brown Senior Refuge Member

I'm a novice tuner. I've destroyed a couple of reeds in the last couple of years. Cutting to length and dog earing are my downfall. Now I cut a little long and do final shaping with a nail file. Reeds don't seem to wear out, soI don't do this often.

Replacing cork is easy enough. Sometimes that's the answer to a problem. Getting good cork is a problem.

Sometime flipping the reed resolves the problem. Was playing an new Echo XLT that was giving me problems. Pulled the cork and check the reed. Checked the bend of the reed and it was down. Re-installed reed and call didn't improve. So what the heck is going on? Pulled reed a second time and re-installed it with the bend up. Call sounds pretty good.

9. DuckNoobie

DuckNoobie Senior Refuge Member

MVP is an awesome call. I have tried a few RNTs (nowhere near all their models), and a “good” MVP (they can vary significantly) can be as ducky as they come.