If you could move anywhere?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by wanapasaki, Dec 14, 2017.

1. wanapasaki

wanapasaki Senior Refuge Member

If you guys had the ability to move anywhere in the US, where would you go, to obtain the most waterfowl and hunting opportunities? IE: Public land access, migration corridors, fair housing market, and job opportunities are all things considered crucial. I had a hell of a 2017. I lost my daughter, ended the relationship and my job is going stale. It's time for a change and 2018 is the year that this going to happen. I have enough equity in my house which will allow me to get good start and far from this place. What do you guys think?

2. sbezoey

sbezoey Refuge Member

Somewhere in Kansas

wanapasaki likes this.
  3. frankman

frankman Senior Refuge Member

Middle of South Dakota

wanapasaki likes this.
  4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear you had such a bad year. Good to hear you are actively working to correct the problem, and keeping your head up!

When you say you lost your daughter, did she pass? If so, I offer my condolences. I cannot even begin to imagine the thought of having to bury a child.

As for which state, what's your field? I'd move to KS or OK in a heartbeat. Possibly even NE or SD, if I could stand the cold. LOL Since SD has such whacked up OOSer regs, I might consider moving there, and freelancing the other close-by states (best of both worlds). It's hard(er) to do it the other way around.

Now, if I could have a house anywhere... That's a tough one, but I'd def want a summer pad in AK. I want to go back every day.

wanapasaki and Duck_Hunter_TX like this.
  5. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Don't base that decision on an activity that you can only do 60 days a year in most flyways. I feel like when this question has been asked previously California has been a popular answer.

tcc and wanapasaki like this.
  6. Bluedog

Bluedog Elite Refuge Member

If ducks are part of the question, NC is not part of the answer hahahaha
    Good luck

7. waterrat

waterrat Elite Refuge Member

Kansas or Missouri

wanapasaki likes this.
  8. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

Moorea. I'd give up birds and just fish.

wanapasaki and Constructeur like this.
  9. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Sioux falls south Dakota, good job, great fishing, great hunting.

wanapasaki likes this.
  10. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

If you are a tool, Iowa is great for waterfowlers. You can fire up the Cummins with the rest of the hard core crowd, roll coal all the way from east to west, and kill limits on the Miss one day and limits on the MO the next. All the while you can talk smack on anyone not putting on 1000s of miles a week and failing to get limits since they aren’t “dedicated” and are “lazy”. Hunt 3 zones here so with the staggered starts ends and splits you can fill a lot of fall and winter with duck hunting. Get outside a metro (Des Moines, Cedar Rapids etc) and everything is dirt cheap. Deer hunting isn’t what it was but it’s still good nationally. Pockets of Iowa are getting pheasants and quail back. Turkey are everywhere.

There are better places to purely duck hunt but if it were me if I ONLY duck hunted I think I’d go insane. My mind can only take so much frustration.

wanapasaki and spring man like this.