If you could move anywhere?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by wanapasaki, Dec 14, 2017.

1. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

I hate the dakotas but NE SD is pretty cool. Where ya at?

2. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

Please tell me you're just being facetious

3. AK.airboater

AK.airboater New Member

Mean Gene, in a nut shell why ne south dakota vs other parts of that state ?

4. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

The fit was right.

I am predominately a bird hunter, specifically ducks and geese. Deer is secondary at best. NE South Dakota offered be the best opportunity to kill ducks and geese in as unhurried an environment as I could find. If I wanted big game as a higher priority I would have been on the other side of the state. But, it's really far beyond that. Where we are is what my wife and I have sought after for many years. We came from far Northern California where we had lived for almost the last 30 years. That area still has a good amount of open land, but it's changing rapidly, and not for the good. The entire state is going downhill. The laws, taxes, fees, etc have become intolerable, but what's more concerning is the people in general are changing into a much more disgruntled species and their attitudes sink to new lows on a continual basis. My wife and I are old school, take care of yourselves, help your neighbor kind of people. That mind set is disappearing from the California experience. We found that in our new area it was like dropping back 50 years in time, while retaining all the modern day amenities. We went from an ever increasing liberal atmosphere to a very conservative, yet relaxed atmosphere. We also went from a state with a population of 39 million to a state with a population of 800 thousand. Our town is far enough away from anything to be somewhat secluded, yet close enough as to not be inconvenient. My wife and I have exactly the same feeling there...contentment. We came west this winter to see if that's what we wanted to do in the winters, which are considerably harsher than where we were, but next year we will not be coming out here. Both of us miss our area, so we'll be setting up the place so we can spend the winters there in comfort.

Maybe that's a bigger nutshell than you were asking for, but the bottom line is we are where we are supposed to be. We fit in there. It makes us happy and it affords us the opportunity to do other things as well, if we so desire. We like our town, we like our area, we like our neighbors...we fit right. :tu:tu

5. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Gene, what you are describing is the essence of small town America. I've had similar experiences to you. Lived in California 20 years. Moved to Idaho in the late 90s. Before I retired this past year I had a job up here that took me to Montana, Wyoming and all over Idaho for 10 years. The last seven years the job also included big metros like Seattle, Portland, Northern California, Salt Lake and Denver. I've experienced both living and working in small towns and big cities. By far, I prefer small towns.

I was talking to a customer once who grew up and lived out in the country his whole life. I was relating how small town life holds so much more of the traditional American experiences that even us city folk remember from our youth. The things we lament because they seem to no longer exist. America as we remember it used to be. He looked at me and said "Small town America IS America". I think that is what you are saying here, too.

My job included 80+% travel. I used to hit the road for work and head either for the boonies or for some damn city. The days I would head into Montana Wyoming, Southeast Idaho or part of Utah were days that I couldn't believe I got paid to be there. I felt like I should have paid my employer for the privilege! But counter to that were plenty of weeks grinding it out in Seattle, Portland or Bay Area traffic. Often I felt like from the moment I arrived, I was counting down the days until Friday...and escape!

I think the people who are lucky in this world are the ones that can make a living in less populous states / small towns...or at least have the choice between that and the big city. I've lived a life that has exposed me to both, and I far prefer the country environs.

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  6. Wareagle1

Wareagle1 Elite Refuge Member

Unfortunately I’m not

7. The_Duck_Master

The_Duck_Master Elite Refuge Member

Salem isn't small by any means but I tolerate it only because I have a small slice of heaven outside of town and I'm 15 minutes from work. The only neighbors I hear are the chickens and I can't even see them. I can not fathom how anyone can stand to live and work in a big city.

8. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

BA71C8A3-1A31-49E1-A002-86D7D02133E8.png Just think. If you moved to the U.P. of Michigan you could then be a Yooper and this is how Yoopers handle the snowiest winters east of the Rockies.

9. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

I’m sure there’s not a man on this board who wouldn’t live in a rural area if given the choice... so if any y’all hear of a 60k/yr job out in the sticks, give me a holler. :reader

The_Duck_Master likes this.
  10. tcc

tcc Elite Refuge Member

I don't even know how to respond to that! What the hell is the purpose of such a stupid law?