If you could shot any load, past or present?

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by 1911king, Feb 9, 2018.

1. 1911king

1911king Senior Refuge Member

if you could shoot any load from the past or present what would it be? Pulling old shells of storage has me thinking about the the types of shells I never got to try.

2. Bunkhouse

Bunkhouse Elite Refuge Member

In the old days #4 lead in 2 3/4 inch shells 12 gauge would come close to handling all waterfowl. We loaded our own and they were hot.

HONKSRWORKN, DuckFan and ditchbanker like this.
  3. NOLUCK

NOLUCK Senior Refuge Member

Winchester Expert 3" Steel 1 1/4 oz shot size to change with fowl I am hunting but if I had to take 1 to cover Canada's to Teal or Buffleheads 3's. I have been hunting waterfowl 43 years now and I like the currant steel loads better than any of the lead that I ever used. I used hand loads to factory loads and considering what they did to the environment and how lethal they are/were the currant steel loads are better.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  4. Joelocalguy

Joelocalguy Senior Refuge Member

12 gauge, three inch, 1 5/8 ounces buffered lead in #5 for ducks, #2 or bb for geese, I think it was 39 grains blue dot. Shot out of a full choke. Very few cripples.

5. Winchester 1897

Winchester 1897 Elite Refuge Member

Probably my carving mentor's old load. 11/4 oz buffered copper played or hard 4s going 1330 fps. Might bump it to 1 1/2 and a 2 for geese. My carving mentor said that load would teach em to play dead at ridiculous ranges.

Or bismuth 2 or 4s going the same speed.

6. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

When I lived where ducks were scarce, I hand-loaded 12ga high antimony lead 5s for them and thought that pretty well necessity. Nearly 40 years later my current favorite is Kent's Upland Steel in 20ga 5s.

And when lead was last legal, I was paying the then crazy sum of $15 a box for 12ga Nitro Magnum (high antimony) lead 2s for my geese. Which I've also shot most of with those little 20ga steel loads in recent years.

I'm a whole lot better at getting them close than I once was. And knowing what I now do about lead, I'd not go back.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

I'd go back to nickel plated Lead #5's in a heartbeat, and wouldn't feel bad about it for a nanosecond.

8. Flyfisher

Flyfisher Elite Refuge Member

Hevi Shot #4

9. Jim Dandy

Jim Dandy Elite Refuge Member

Any shell? If they were free then it would be Kent Tungsten Matrix 1 1/4 oz # 4.

Dandy

RemSpt58 and blackdog58 like this.
  10. Kevin Burroughs

Kevin Burroughs Elite Refuge Member

Lead #5 1 3/8

free_gaff likes this.