If you have 5 minutes and need a laugh...

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Big Bad Wolf, Oct 11, 2011.

1. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

A lot of people I'd like to spend a day or two in the blind with.
    I need a good laugh !:yes:bow

2. burns_312

burns_312 Banned

You ever heard of Albert Pujols? Do a little looking into his past and see how he was discovered.

3. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

Trevor,

I coach baseball in the Bayside Conference, MD (for 2 years). Last year in the North Division alone, I know of 7 players (may be more) receiving Division 1 baseball scholarships and another playing JR college in GA. One of the players was going to go to a top 15 program (Coastal Carolina) until the offer was pulled (i have heard rumors/reason but do not know for sure), then signed with another D1 school. I would not be surprised if Parkside, and James Bennett had players sign also. I, personally did not see any player in the Bayside Conference, during the season, that I would think was deserving of being drafted or signed by a major league team (my opinion, based on my experience as a player, having played with/against major leaguers, and coach).

As far as coaches, I know 2 out of 3 of our coaches at the school I coach received scholarships to play D1 baseball (the other played D3). Other coaches in the conference played college and minors. One of the coaches in the conference pitched in a world series! I believe the coach from your school played in the minors. Many of these coaches played HS locally! I know these coaches can get their players looked at if they think the players have the talent, grades, attitude and dedication. Didn't see you play, so I don't know why you weren't recruited.

Also, I have seen MD Univ. baseball team play many times, and there is no one on that team that can carry Weiters' catchers gear! He was the 1st pick in the draft and probably the number 1 college player in the country (and one hell of a good closer, as well as catcher)! I promise you your friend was/is not as good as him! Dont forget, Weiters is not batting against a pitcher throwing for the American Legion every night. Its great to stick up for your friends, but damn. As far as schools not recruiting on the Eastern Shore. My son has received 2 Div 1 recruiting letters recently and he is just a JR. He has been asked to participate in some up coming showcase camps also. Don't know if he will make it or not, but people are watching.

I love your bulldog attitude and would love to hunt with you and talk baseball. I am sure you could teach me some things about killing waterfowl. BUT, I just wanted to tell you a few things that I know a little about. Keep working hard and doing what you love to do, as long as it pays the bills.

Doug

4. Josh Michaelis

Josh Michaelis Elite Refuge Member

I have a High IQ........and nobody likes me......

Both of these statements are indeed fact

5. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Weiters is garbage. Im sorry but he is not good at all. He was a waste of a draft pick. He isn't even in the top 15 catchers in the league. The only thing he has is an arm. I have watched both play numerous times and Tyler Bennet IMO is a better catcher than Weiters.

I had two different coaches in high school and niether played past high school. In fact I think one never even played at all. They have a pretty good coach there now in Milligan, but he wasn't there when I was, we were still playing against him at Colenol Richardson.

6. PGA2B

PGA2B Elite Refuge Member

Give up, It's like talking to a wall.....he knows more than the paid scouts that have been in baseball forever and graded thousands of guys for talent. I still Laugh my *** off when he talks about playing in the middle of nowhere in MARYLAND!!!!!!!! Try E WA fruitcake.....and those of us that could play were covered up with pro and college scouts....I personally talked to UW WSU BYU UCLA a host of JC's and small colleges....then there were the Dodgers, Reds, Mariners, Pirates and Astros.....and I was average in every talent, except hitting were I was considered having Major League hitting abilities while in High School....and thats in an era when teams only cared about 2 things.....throwing strength and speed.....you're a legend in your own mind buddy......

7. bombman

PGA,

I agree with you about being found if you have the talent. Whats the saying "The major leagues find you, not the other way around"? I played for a not so good HS coach, ended up at a JUCO. I then ended up half way across the country playing D1 because, like you, I could hit. I played in front of scouts often (it doesnt hurt to have really good teammates, many of whom where drafted). I played in summer leagues, on the East coast and in the Midwest. I know that some players are missed but most often, there are reasons someone doesnt "make it". I totally agree that the scouts wanted speed, a gun for an arm, and more speed!

I have a friend who lives in Spokane, love the quail hunting in WA state!

Doug

8. bombman

Trevor,

Garbage? Weiters is a MLB Catcher, arguably the best college baseball player the year he was drafted #1 overall (many other teams wanted him). Even if he is not a top 15 catcher (your opinion, not mine), what is he, top 20? So your saying your friend is better than a top 20 MLB catcher? Come on, thats crazy talk! You watched your friend hit against who, Legion Post 123? Your friend had a good HS career (at a 1A school), and a decent freshman season at MD, but where is he now? Your comparison is laughable. It would be like me saying that I watched a guy call in flock after flock of resident geese into our spread in front of our golf coarse blind, so he must be a better caller than that Trevor kid and his garbage calls. That would be crazy talk too.

Doug

9. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

Yup Weiters was the best college player, but just like in football that doesn't translate into being a good pro player.

He got hurt, pretty sure he hasn't played a game since his freshman year. It is unfortunate too, the kid had talent and all the intangibles, he was a leader

10. bombman

Trevor,

Yea your right, Weiters sucks and your friend, having played 1 year competitive baseball (college), should be in the show. I am sure you saw plenty of high level players, though I dont know where, to compare players. Yea, being great in college doesnt mean you will be a good MLB player. BUT, cant you say the same thing about being good/great locally on the Eastern Shore? It doesnt mean you can play baseball on a higher level? Yea, Weiters sucked so bad this year that he was the 6th best fielding catcher, had a .995 fielding percentage, threw out base stealers .370 percent of the time (league high) in the 139 games that he caught. Yea, he cant hit either. He was just the 5th best hitting catcher in the Majors (.262 average), with 22 homeruns. Your idea of worthless is different than mine. With your thinking, the O's had a top 5 Major league catcher playing HS on the Eastern Shore and later at MD and didnt even give him a look! :scratch

Stick to the call game...not a sermon ...

Doug