Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

If you were only hunting on the X...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Spencer5100, Feb 21, 2017.

What would you prefer?

1. 20 dozen Sillosocks

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. 4 dozen GHG Full Bodies

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. Spencer5100

Spencer5100 Elite Refuge Member

And had to choose one set of decoys for all weather conditions for fall hunting in Alberta and Washington state, which of the two choices would be your preference?

2. YanktonSquid

YanktonSquid Senior Refuge Member

I chose socks just because of the quantity.

3. Hunter ivy

Hunter ivy Refuge Member

Well it really depends if the hunting is just great you would not need much decoys

4. GK1

GK1 Elite Refuge Member

On the X with a good hide? 4 dozen GHG full bodies.

Less of a hide the Sox and a white suit.

JMO.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  5. Spencer5100

Thanks for the response, I should have considered hiding as well.
    I don't see myself trying to shoot snows out of a field that they don't want to be in very often, if at all. But I will be in Canada in September and want to be able to decoy snows in the event that a bunch are using a field that I am mainly hunting to target ducks/ dark geese. The other main application of these decoys will be around Western Washington, in the rare event that a bunch of snows are using a field I have access to. We don't tend to get a ton of wind around here, and I don't want to be hosed on windless days.

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Have you been up there before?

7. Spencer5100

Negative, looking forward to learning a ton and hopefully shooting a few birds in the process.

8. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator Flyway Manager

Ok, that is why I asked.
    Once you get up there, (depending on where and when you go) you will most likely be able to scout ducks, ducks and dark geese, dark geese, dark geese and snows, and snows.
    I have been 6 times. Went this year. Really nasty conditions, VERY wet. Driving in was OUT. Walk in only, and only off primary dirt roads, secondary and grid roads were out. You need to be prepared for that. New area for us, and we blew an entire day scouting, looking for permission. We settled on a so-so spot, but got our dark birds. Did not care about snows. We also had a duck spot, and that was incredible. Next day, nothing had come up, so we hit the same spots. Scratched out our darks, incredible on ducks. 3rd day we finally were able to get permission on a variety of fields, and were able to pick one just off some sheet water, with ducks, darks, and snows. We got some ducks early, darks were incredible, and we got into the snows a little. (about 14 snows) (remember, you packed in, so you gotta pack em out too:eek: )

I have a mostly RG dark set (6 doz), with 3 doz shells.(I have more, but that is all we used, walking in) I brought out 2 doz socks with heads, and 2 flyers. We set those off to one side and behind, working the wind (so they had to fly over us to get to the snow set) Dark set was all around us, and helped conceal the blinds. Duck silos were between the darks and snows. Incredible shoot, birds at 10 yards. Limited out on darks, and had them landing next to the blinds. Snows came in later.

So, why the long story? You don't know what you are going to run into. I have been up there when it was so dry, you had to stay close to water, as it was rare. (Rivers and lakes, flight patterns from there) So, you need to be able to have a set you can get into ANY conditions. Silos and socks work for that. Up there, they just plain work anyway. It really is all about finding the right field, putting them to bed, and getting covered up. The birds WILL come back.

So, for me, it is silo's and shells for darks. One guy can haul in 6 doz silos and 3 doz shells, plus his blind. (Not an easy haul, but can-do) Pretty easy to add in a few doz socks for the whites. I just got 2 more doz headless, so that will give me 4 doz plus the flyers. I target birds I want to eat, and that is specks for us.

Spencer5100 likes this.
  9. Spencer5100

Really appreciate the information sir!

10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

If there is a chance that you could get darks, ducks and snows in your Washington field I would only go with FBs.