Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

If you were only hunting on the X...

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by Spencer5100, Feb 21, 2017.

What would you prefer?

1. 20 dozen Sillosocks

12 vote(s)
    70.6%
  2. 4 dozen GHG Full Bodies

5 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I have 24 big 5/8 shells with stakes, that work great as a full-body replacement, for dark geese, and that supplements my full body spread if we can drive out. For white geese, lots of juvies, so numbers work. Socks and silos work great for me, and we had a few limit days this season (50 per person) . I have an ATV, and it got us in the wet fields easily. Transported the rubbermaid containers of socks out with no problem. Easy to set up. Two guys can set up 300+ socks and flyers in under 15 minutes. Everything contained in 4 rubbermaid containers. Can't do that with full bodies.

For fields that we can't use ATV or truck, I'll haul out my blind, filled with socks, as many as I can take in 1 trip. I also have a kid's tobaggon that allows me to drag stuff over water and snow easily and efficiently.

I'd stick with the silos and socks. Shells for dark geese work well, i like the GHG ones with the single stakes. I carry them in two back packs for carrying out. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  2. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

If you buy sillosocks you won't be hosed on windless days. They have an inner bag and if you shake them they fill up decently well. They won't look as good as they do on windier days but they are much better looking under no wind conditions then other socks.

I honestly see no benefit in full bodies for this situation. They take up way more room, you'd have to take at least 3-4 trips to walk them in a field, and you'd get way less decoys. You'll be hunting in the fall in Canada...and occasionally in Washington when the opportunity arises. You'll want more decoys not just for the snows but for the ducks as well. Ducks decoy really well into snow decoys and they can see them from a long ways away.

If you wanted to add 4 dozen fullbodys to a semi-permanent snow spread of a thousand decoys I'd say go for it, but if you want a mobile spread the socks are the only way to go. They are just so much more versatile. My Canada spread is 120 socks and 80 silhouettes. I can walk the whole spread into a field by myself and set it up in 30 minutes.

3. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Agree with basically everyone here, go with silososocks or some sort of sock with a backbone. I honestly wouldn't have a problem trying to hunt consistently over 20 dozen in Canada in September. When we've been up there we set 3-500ish every single hunt and shot our birds nearly every day. If we didn't, another 3-400 decoys probably wouldn't of made it any better. You can walk in basically any decoy companies sock bag by yourself with some effort or 2 man it easily. Going entirely socks up there would be effective. The days we shoot ducks we normally just throw mojos up when there flying